Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I bought a Turbo 400/NP 205, what parts do I need from the donor truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72Blazerod, Oct 16, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys,

I have had it trying to solve my clutch linkage problem with the 1990 Corvette engine I bought so I am getting rid of the SM465/205 and I am going slush-box. I just found a Turbo 400 and 205 set up form a 1 ton. I am buying the whole set up to put into my 1/2 ton 1972 Blazer. What parts am I going to need to strip out of the donor truck? Can I use my transfer case shifter (also an NP 205) on the new transfer case? What about my drive shafts, what am I going to have to do to make the whole thing fit?
    Thanks for your input,

Rod /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes the shift levers should work from yours and yes you will need the drivelines as the 400np205 is longer than your sm465np205 setup i would also get the crossmember just incase also get the cooler lines and radiator i would also add in an external cooler as well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My K5 is a '75, with a Turbo 400 and 205 from a 1980 1-ton. I got the crossmember, the brace rod that goes from the 205 up to the backside of the engine, the shifter and driveshafts. The front shaft was a direct bolt on, then I had the rear shaft shortened to fit the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Turbo 400 uses an electrical switch to tell the tranny when to kick down into passing gear. That switch is attached to the bracket that holds the accelerator pedal. Get the switch and the wiring. You'll probably find that your pedal bracket has the holes already in it for the switch to screw to. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tranny cooler lines are a good thing to take, even if you just use them as a template to bend new ones. Does your radiator have a tranny cooler in it? Using only an aux. tranny cooler may make your tranny run too cold during those Canadian winters. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You might want to talk to a tranny shop about that. If it's a problem, a local radiator shop may be able to change the right side tank for you to one that has a cooler.

While a Turbo 400 is King Kong strong, it has a lousy first gear. I think it's something like 2.48:1. :-( That, and a lack of an overdrive gear, are it's only shortcomings. If you like to crawl on the rocks, something like a doubler is in your future.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Also, the 400 robs the motor of about 20 HP to get cranking. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the Turbo 400 is pretty much the most power hungry tranny out there. I've read that it soaks up about 60 HP, whereas a Turbo 350 will "only" soak up about 40 HP. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Therefore the 465 would rob how much HP?

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Steeringing collum unless your putting the shifter on the floor. You may want to grab the Axles with that power plant.