Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I bought a welder today....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 23, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

So I bought a welder... it's used but in great condition and has 1 1/2 year warrenty left on it. It's a Lincoln SP125 Plus... I'm going to be looking for a mask/googles tomorrow. I'm not sure I want self darkening out of the cost and even with the frist spark it may take a second to darken enough to burn a little... I kinda like the idea of googles though since the mask has me a bit edgy. Not a fan of wearing any type of mark.... but anyhow what do you all recommend? I live within 5 minutes driving of 3 welding equipment places so finding something once I want it won't be hard. Also what books do you all recommend or videos? For that matter anyone local to me who welds who would help me learn? Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Go grab some scrap metal and start practing...You learn fast.. And one of the things I learned the hard way is don't wear shorts when you are welding...LOL

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I had a friend who wore the goggles only to weld & ended up "sunburning" his face. It was funny to us, but not so much to him.

I guess I know where to go to get my junk welded on /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

Yeah I was gonna do that... but laying a good bead I might need help to get the wire feed right... I won't be able make bumpers, but most anything up to 1/4 inch I should be able to tackle!

Another investment is good gloves and some leathers.... I don't like the smell of my legs and arms on fire! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I use one of the auto darkeners at work all day everyday. THey darken WAY faster than the humna eye can recognize the change. And I am so spolied by those things, that I can't go back to a regular hood.....I would HIGHLY recomend one if you can afford it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok you are scaring me!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Chicks and Welders is almost as cool as Chicks and Beer!!hehehe
    My helpful hint would be: Cover all your skin, the arc light will burn any part of exposed skin. Ask me how I know!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Good luck and happy burning /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Girl, if you can weld 1/4 in stell you can make bumpers.

I dont have a part in my bumper that is made of steel thicker than 1/4 in. Warn bumpers are made of sheet metel...

You can weld anything you can dream up as long as its steel.

You will get used to the mask. Get one with a big window in it. The little windows are harder to get used to.

8. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Go with an auto tinting helmet. It will be much easier for you to run a good bead with an auto tinting helmet starting out (cause you can see what the hell your doing before you strike an arc). Are you using flux core or gas? I recently purchased a Miller 175 and I'm using gas and no one could ever talk me into using flux core again. Yes it's more of an investment but if your going to be using it much it would be well worth the investment.

Also, where did you purchase the welder from? I ask because the Lincolns that you get at Home Depot/Costco are not the same as the ones that you pick up from a tool store. The ones at HD are cheaper because they use aluminimum wrapped coils versus copper wrapped coils that are in the more expensive units. Without getting into a whole bunch of details it results in a shorter life span for the welder and poorer quality welds.

The last bumper I built was 1/4" and then next one will be 3/16"... I think 1/4" is over kill.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I like the autodarkening styles...I got one with a large viewing window, and it's NICE.

You can get into the weird position with one hand holding the parts in place and the other hand on the welder, and just start welding. If you had to flip down a mask at that point, you'd be kinda frustrated.

I will also repeat what has already been said about the "speed" of the auto darkening glass...... 1/25,000 of a second is REALLY fast. There might be other reasons why you don't want an autodarkening helmet, but the speed isn't one of them......

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

except for the 8 in c channel mine is 3/16... my buddy built one out of 1/4 and whishes hed done it in 3/16. Mine is ALOT lighter than his. My whole bumper including winch is under 200lbs. My budies 1/4 in fabed bumper is well over including winch.

11. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Where did you end up buying your welder? Sounds like you probably got a good deal.

12. ChevyCaGal

I got it used from a guy on Pirate4x4.com... met him (and his family) yesterday and he was way cool and nice. It's flux core, but I plan to save up for gas at some point.... well maybe... depends on how much my other ventures are gonna cost. Adding up things now I might be selling a kidney on eBay but I have a spare... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Zeus33rd

I'm think I've got my gramps about 90% convinced to buy me this welder. He's asked me to go look at them with him like 3 times already. Went and looked again today...I almost thought he was gonna wip out the check book today..but, he didn't. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The website says the list price is $1327. We can get it at the welding supply place here for a grand. Gotta buy the bottle, thats about $180. Then I'd be set....No more beggin time at work to make stuff. WooHooo!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's what I got. I run gas. The biggest I've done so far has been 3/8", some stuff on the frame and it's got a lot more left in reserve. The duty cycle is I think 20%, but I never have hit it yet. I built my bender roll away with it, first project, came out pretty good. I paid 600 and change if I remember right for it brand new with a gas setup. Only problem I have with it is I got the small tank. Doesn't last.

15. Zeus33rd

Duty cycle is 30%. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. ChevyCaGal

$600 w/gas is a good price. They are about $725 here with gas, and $825 with the cart... I plan to buy a cheap bender and play around with it. Make some rails for some of the skaters and sell them (they already said they were really interested!). Then with that cash buy other cool things... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Thank you. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. Zeus33rd

Bubba ray....Were you sayin you had the SP-125 or the Power MIG 200? I think I got alittle confused.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. ChevyCaGal

The SP125 he has... he replied to me... pay attention silly man... hehehe (sorry I drank like 2 liters of Vanilla Coke today I'm a bit wired up)..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

20. Zeus33rd

Well excuuuuuuuuse me! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif