Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I bought another Blazer, keep it or use the parts???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TruckNutzDude, Dec 20, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just bought a '78 K5 blazer w/ a 465/205 in it and already have a '89 K5 with a 700R4/241/D60/14bolt that I've been building. I bought the '78 for the trans and t-case but now I'm thinking of building 2 blazers! I wanted to put the 465/205 in my '89 and keep my TBI... I don't know what to do guys... both of the trucks are rusty so both would require work (the '89 is in better condition) Give me some opinions please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

It would depend on if I had the money to support both well. Kinda like having two wives - it's fun and expensive.

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

keep it and build 2, one for a total beater and one for light duty, then buy another and build it, and then get a truck and well i think you get the idea /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

Money is tight but I was thinking of doing two... maybe take the 1 ton axles out of my '89 and put them in the '78 and get a 6" lift and some 40" Boggers. Keeping the '89 as a DD with the '78's 10b/12b axles, 700/241... hmmm... sounds expensive already. Anyone else got a suggestion? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds expensive already. Anyone else got a suggestion? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

why, you had the right idea, make the 78 the trail rig with your axles, lift and hawgs; and put the 10/12 in the 89 with some good 35 inch radials and a smaller lift

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i vote for keeping the poor thing, only cuz they are rare to me i never get to see any cept when a member drives one to here

good luck whichever way you go!

7. TruckNutzDude

The 465/205 in that K5 should hold up to a big block right? The 305 is extremely tired and I've always wanted a big block in a Blazer. I bought the truck without knowing much about it... I dont even know if it's slip yoke or not /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I just saw the shifters, asked the guy what year the truck was and what he used it for (pulling stumps!) then I made him an offer. Can someone tell me more about it??? All I know is it's a bone stock '78 K5 with a granny low 4 speed and a 205 shifter /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I say swap axles, 1 tons and 465/205 in the 78 and 700/241 and 10 bolts in the other.

Unless you wanna crawl, then leave them alone and get 60/14 for the 78. IMHO, clutches are a PITA to crawl with unless you got LOW axle gears.

78 probably has fixed yoke outputs. I suggest supporting the 205 with a 2nd crossmember on the output somehow. I'm replacing my adapter because it cracked from all the weight of the 205 being supported by it.

465 will hold up to a big block, not sure if 305 was an option in 78. Are you sure it is a 305 and original?? Just might wanna make sure.

9. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    465 will hold up to a big block, not sure if 305 was an option in 78. Are you sure it is a 305 and original?? Just might wanna make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

According the the specifications page here on CK5 a 305 motor was avalable stock in 1978. Wheather or not it's an original motor is beyond me. I would assume so since all the other accessories such as wheels and interior have been untouched. Of course that excludes the custom duct tape seat covers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I didn't get a good look at the body mounts and floors on the '78, if it's rotted beyond my repairing ability should I still keep it? I know I had a hard time shutting the drivers side door when I checked the interior out. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According the the specifications page here on CK5 a 305 motor was avalable stock in 1978. Wheather or not it's an original motor is beyond me. I would assume so since all the other accessories such as wheels and interior have been untouched. Of course that excludes the custom duct tape seat covers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I didn't get a good look at the body mounts and floors on the '78, if it's rotted beyond my repairing ability should I still keep it? I know I had a hard time shutting the drivers side door when I checked the interior out. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Take up the carpet in the bed and cab and take some pics. The people here can tell you if it is worth keeping. Pics of the outside of the truck too.
    As for the engine, I believe the forums has a bunch of casting numbers of many GM blocks or used to. If not I have some in a text file, jut PM me and I can send them to you.

11. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

My .02$ is for building up the 78 and keeping the 89. Should be fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. TruckNutzDude

I don't have the "new" K5 at my house yet so I'm not able to take pics of the body and frame yet. If the body is junk I'll most likely cut it up or put an S10 cab on it. I'd like a nice mud buggy sitting in my backyard and a built Blazer for a DD. Wish I had more funds though /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif