Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I BROKE MY CHERRY!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Sep 14, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

Actually, I broke my very first U-Joint on this truck.. I am so excited!!! I probably sound crazy though. I thought I killed the entire drive shaft.. but NOPE.. just a U-Joint..
    Anyway.. anybody got any good ideas about how to make them stronger... or a cheaper alternative.. or some kind of strengthening that can be done there??? The drive shaft is insanely strong.. but those U-joints are another story!
    Also, I would just like you guys to know that I ordered my 4" suspension lift and all new body mounts... including a 3" Body lift... I am so psyched!! I should have all of it by Wednesday.. which means the truck will be 7" taller on Saturday or Sunday at the latest!!! I am getting 37" tires in two weeks!! CANNOT WAIT!!! Appreciate it guys.. thanks for you help! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

about all you can do to get stronger joints is upgrade to 1 ton joints..but that would require a new shaft built with the correct yokes and a new yoke for the rear end /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The other thing you can do is make sure that all the u-joints are running at the smallest possible angularity possible.

There is an interesting table that documented the "service life" of the various u-joints depending on the angle that they were operating at....if for some reason, you are running with the u-joints in a sort of "binding up" position, they will wear out in a hurry.

If all the angles look reasonable, then the alternatives are to increase the SIZE of the u-joints, or "modify" your driving style to be more gentle on parts! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt get too strong U-bolts though. I'd rather have that f'k up than a whole driveshaft /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

That is an extremely good point.... I like your style.. and I will take your advice.. I am just going to carry some tools and some extra U-Joints with me!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

it is good to have weak u-joints some times. your chain is only as strong as your weakest link... sometimes you need a weak link in an area easy to repair and get to.
    but yeah, 1 ton u-joints and axles all the way.
    grant

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the only down side to the drive line being the weak point is if ya do wipe out a u-joint...and the drive line falls to the ground ya run the chance of messin up the yokes on the drive line and then you wouldent be able to put a new u-joint in...

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I sort of agree. Its strangley reassuring to know what WILL brake!! and then you can plan for it!!