Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i broke my first part today.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Sep 20, 2005.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

well i blew a U joint up today. not a big thing but it was the first thing i broke on the new truck. hahah. looking at my driveshaft angle it looks like i might have to rotate the rear axel a little.. it is kind of a steep angle.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too much torque!!

Guess that "Gutless" diesel had more power than you first thought ! :haha: --you will learn the diesel "feels" gutless,but still has enough torque to break stuff!..an exteme angle on the driveshaft will make it easier to snap a U-joint--but it still takes a lot of torque to snap one!.. :rolleyes:

Once you get used to the diesel,I think you'll like it more and more..it'll be better on fuel than any gas engine,and no "tune ups" other than air and fuel filters..so what if it wont win a drag race!...my 6.2 will smoke the right rear tire till its bald if I power brake it--even my 400 small block and a 454 I had in a 74 K20 with a heavy flatbed/crane couldn't do that!.. :crazy:

3. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

hahah ya i guess the 6.2 can break some stuff. i am liking it more and more. especially in the mud today. it did great. but when i hit deep waterholes my power steering went out.. not sure what that is all about. i am working on exhaust piping a new intake air cleaner and i want to change to 3/4 ton axels. then i think she will be bad ass.... you guys have helped a ton. i am new to the k5 and so far i have learned a lot from this site.. i need to find a new intake manifold. and i am not sure where to get one at just yet but i am sure i will find one on here somewhere.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

belt slipping..

You douched your power steering belt with mud and water and it slipped!--thats why the steering got stiff suddenly!--and on a diesel,you have hydroboost power brakes that also use the power steering pump as a power source--so its important to keep a NEW belt tentioned properly on your truck!--your life depends on it!..once you try stopping with NO power sterring pump belt,you'll see what I mean!--..

If you have single exhaust,a dual exhaust will help wake up your diesel a lot!--I'd wait to change the intake--it does add SOME power,but its a rather costly part,and takes a bit of work to install.--(Make sure you use a NEW air filter!!--A diesel sucks in as much air at idle as a 454 will wide open--and needs ALL the air it can get!)--.my truck was MUCH more peppy after I put in a new air filter!--yours is probably clogged with mud and dust if your off roading it!..

My truck has the EGR style intake,its not a "J" code--I disabled the EGR valve and the "EPR" heat riser in the drivers side exhaust manifold--that seemed to make it a BIT more peppy..changing your 3.08 gears to 4.10's will REALLY wake it up,or if you go even lower to 4.56's if you luck out and find a pair,you can then run big tires and still have good power and acceleration..3.08's are great for highway gas mileage,but make a DOG out of ANY motor .. :crazy: