Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Broke Steering parts!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ccatlett1984, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

I'll have pics posted tomorrow.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I sheared three of the four studs that hold my stock steering arm and the 2.5" block (came with the 6" lift from superlift) to the knuckle.

The studs are supposed to be grade 8, but I wasn't beating on the truck. Pulled out my buddies f250. I drove about 20miles home on the freeway.

Get home and turn the wheels to back into the driveway and hear a LOUD :eek1: POP. When I turn the wheel the tires arent turning anymore, get out and see the steering arm held on by one stud.

I am wondering if the studs werent really grade 8. I am debating between going cross-over and just getting ARP studs. I dont really want to go cross-over yet, but if I am going to keep breaking the studs then I am going to have to.

What do you guys think?:bow:

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i suppose the cheap option for now would be to go with the ARP studs. i dont know much about using blocks with the steering arms from personal experience though.

3. blasphemous

blasphemous 1/2 ton status

I want to see pictures!

Just through in the ARP studs until you're ready to do a cross-over conversion.

4. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Good thing it happened in your drive way, amazing how things work like that!

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Using the spacer block puts a BIG leverage on those studs and this is why everyone frowns on using the block. Do a crossover now and don't ever worry about it again.

6. ccatlett1984

7. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

This past weekend I had 2 of the four studs break on my block. The block suposedly came with ARP studs. I had heard stories of people having them break, but I figured they were harder on their trucks than me, or that they didn't have their studs torqued down properly.

I am now waiting for my ORD crossover kit to show up.

8. ccatlett1984

Not that i'm glad that you broke studs too, be I am glad to hear that someone else had the same issue.

9. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wish I had that kind of breakage luck! I always seem to be on the interstate 50 miles from anything!