Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i call upon the rock crawling guru's for input

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jun 20, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

i call upon the rock crawling guru\'s for input

Ok, I just got my tranny an new convertor from the shop and wanted input on my drivetrain setup.

-TH400 with all the bullet proof mod's and manual valve body.
    -2000 stall, lockup convertor
    -5.13 R&P
    -203/205 w/Doubler
    -42" TSL's

Any input on driving characteristic's?
    I hope I did not F up on the convertor, I would feel so [​IMG] !

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Re: i call upon the rock crawling guru\'s for input

that is going to be my exact setup except for the 5.13's. i spoke w/ Watson and asked basically the same ? and he said i would be fine, i could go lower gear but ill be fine where im at (we all know im probably not going to be happy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.) think about it----

400 w/ mods man valve---bullet proof already, can run at steeper angles (from what i'e heard) and you can shift it like a standard

2000 stall lockup---I'm new to the auto scene, but i was told between 1500-2000 and im still not sure whata lockup really is and does

5.13---the lowest you can go (and driving on 42's will be like you are back on 31's and 3.73's)

doubler---duh

42's--again-duh

man you are perfect

my $.02

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I love everything except the stall convertor. How much of an issue it'll be in the rocks is up to debate I guess...but it may produce a lot of unwanted tranny heat. You might also be using a bit more throttle than you'd otherwise need when idling over something might be preferable.

Rene

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

stall seems a bit high. what motor you got? If you got a BBC or Oilburner, that is WAY too high. you're grunt is down low. If you got a SBC, its high, you'll just have to be on the gas a bit more

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I was told by the owner (Pat Barret, Level Ten Transmissions) that he would not build me a tranny if I did not use the manual valve body, he said that the tranny will run a lot cooler from the extra psi from the manual vb. Also, the tranny has a Chrysler filter that is huge compared to the stock one, Pat said I could turn the truck upside down and it will still pump fluid. I will be installing a deeper pan and a cooler with a fan as well. If I am not satisfied when I finally get in back on the trail, I will be dropping it off so they can install something a little lower.

When I talked to ART CARR, they said they wanted to build me a 1300 stall convertor; is that too low?

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

So what do you guys suggest I use? The convertor is still in the box and I will return it in a heartbeat.

7. tRustyK5

I'd go with the 1300 stall, hell even a stock convertor should do just fine. Stall convertors are great for mud and sand drags and street cars...not so good in the rocks.

The 1300 stall should give you better compression braking in compound low too. To finally get compression braking with the doubler and then defeat that with a high stall seems pointless.

Rene

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yup, rene said it.

i'm running a stock converter, and I have good compression braking on mild grades. it's really nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Mine runs at ~155* on the trail but gets to 180* on the freeway. no fricking idea

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Well, I just got off of the phone with Level Ten. They are saying that the TC is actually around 1800, but with a 350ci engine it should act like a 1600?! The guy freaked out when I mentioned using a 1300 TC, said they only use those on diesel's.
    So now what???

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

1600 isn't bad. ~1500 is where mine gets moving

11. tRustyK5

Stall speed is determined by the pitch of the stator blades and the diameter of the convertor...why should it being a small block or big block effect the actual stall speed? Honestly I'd run a stock TH400 convertor...nice and simple and would work really well.

The only drawback to the lower stall convertors is you'd probably be more on the brakes trying to hold it back at idle...so in some ways a really low stall convertor could be as much as PITA as a high stall.

Rene

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I guess we will have to wait and see how it performs, if I do not like how it crawls, they will have to build me a new one since this TC was the tech's recommendation.

13. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    this TC was the tech's recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains why he was all defensive on the phone then...

Rene

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The amount of torque your engine puts out directly effects the stall speed. With more torque you can grunt past the rated stall. I have a lower than stock 1300 stall towing converter on my 415ci and I can flash it up to 1700.

15. SCOOBYDANNN

[ QUOTE ]
    and I can flash it up to 1700.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Switch Pitch???
    a buddy of mine has this and raves about it (too much $$ for me, but what are the advantages?

16. tRustyK5

I had a 65 Buick with a switch pitch convertor TH400. It was awesome. There was an electic slide switch on the throttle linkage, anything under 3/4 throttle and it was like a stock stall convertor (~1500 or so) but anything more than 3/4 throttle switched the stator pitch and it was roughly 2400 stall. I used to disconnect the switch from the linkage when I'd cruise town looking for trouble...and I'd leave the switch engaged so it was high stall. For a big car it sure launched hard!

I don't even know where you'd get one of those...but it's literally the best of both worlds. In my Buick I could have set the switch anywhere as early as 1/2 throttle all the way up to full throttle only.

Rene

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran a 2400 stall in all situations and here is what I found:

It is great for: Street, Mud, Sand

It sucks for: Rocks, Deep snow

I ended up pulling it out so I could Rock Crawl better and it helped a lot. The problem with the rocks is that you want to creep up something steep. The 2400 stall would slip and slip and then grab hard when it flashed and then spin the tires and I didnt go anywhere. Went back to the stock and It was much easier to drive around. In fact, the stall is still sitting on the garage floor. I've been thinking about putting it into my '68 Chevelle for fun. I'll just have to avoid the rocks and the deep snow with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif fast moving post...!

Some may not agree, but I think that this issue is being a little "over" analyzed. Anywhere around "stock" stall will be workable for crawling. This assumes that you've got a motor that has a decent idle. I think a rougher (street cam) idle could be crawled with a slightly higher stall speed. And on the other end, I think the "diesel" speed converters can actually backfire on you if your gearing is too low.

That being said... I run an 1800 advertised stall w/ Doubler gearing and 3.73's /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif behind a smooth idling 350. Knowing how the converter acts, I adjust my "go pedal" control accordingly. I've seen Rob's (therobzilla) combination, and he can hardly stop it! w/ a strong TPI idle, diesel converter, Doubler gearing, and 4.10's - he's on the brakes while idling over almost any obstacle! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

To summarize, if you're running a Doubler the stall speed is prolly not as critical as you might think.... You can get too high and too low w/ stall speed. And finally, you'll prolly be able to modify your driving to some extent to deal w/ what you've got. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Marv

19. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Id have to agree with these guys on the Converter choice. My stock TH350 Converter is sometimes more stall than I need IMO. With the Doubler, you will definately have to give it gas to get it to move and with 5.13's you will be a bit better off than I am (4.56).

Stall Converters generate much more heat - heat is not good on a trail rig.

One thing you didnt mention is twin sticking your NP205. Do it, its worth the little bit of effort! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. SCOOBYDANNN

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't even know where you'd get one of those...but it's literally the best of both worlds

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a guy in town that can build it, my buddy (the one w/ the 400 switch pitch) called the guy and he wanted almost $1000 for rebuild the 400 w/ switch pitch and TC. To me that sounded unreasonable---is it?