Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Can Drive My Truck in a Straight Line Again!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Mar 26, 2005.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

After much swearing, sweating, and greezy finger nails, I have now replaced the steering column, the ragjoint, the steering box, the pump (it was leaking...), the tie rod, and everything else related to the truck's steering up front. My steering wheel is still a little off center, but it was...

Soooo Badly worn out that all of the sloppy components left me with a full HALF-TURN of slop in the steering... Shortly after buying the truck I took it on a trail ride and bent the tie rod in the center, toeing in the front wheels. So on top of the slop, I had the toe-in yanking the truck every which way whenever it caught a groove in the road. It had become kind of a 'Vehicular Russian Roulette' of driving.

So I had a set of decent used Mall Terrain tires put on it today, the front aligned, and the drive home was amazing. I didn't think a lifted truck with 33" tires could drive so straight and stable!!!

And you all thought this post had something to do with my drinking problem, didn't you!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Jimmy on bias ply 39.5" TSL's goes down the road straight as an arrow, one finger relaxing on the steering wheel. Pretty much did the same that you just did, except I did my own alignment. Not much more that you can do but set the toe-in anyways...

With all new/good parts they run down the road very nicely!!

rene

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's amazing... The K5 is part of the 'Driveable' group of cars at home now! It's been in the 'Emergency Use Only' area for several months, and I'm glad we can all safely drive it now, although the last time my Wife drove it she ran over a Mitsubishi of some kind... Backed the trailer hitch up over the hood of the Mitsu and peeled it back like a sardine can!