Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I can get an np 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by keevy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. keevy

keevy Registered Member

I can get an np 205 is worth to change it with my stock np 208 in my Chevy
    K5 Blazer 1987

Thanks a lot

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good question. 208's must be tougher than they get credit for since Chevy thought it was okay to put them on rigs with TH400, D60, 14Bff, etc. Maybe it's just the aluminum case that's the problem from getting physically hit by boulders - but you can solve that with a skid plate. The slip yoke is not cool either though - wish someone would come up with an easy SYE kit for 208.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The biggest question will be: "What do you do with your K5?" Like what type of wheeling do you do?

If the 208 isn't giving you any trouble and you have a skid plate on it, then I wouldn't swap just to have a 205. May not hurt to get it and keep it in the garage incase someday you want to do a doubler.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Also kind of depends what model it is.

I see what country you are in, if it's a 32 spline input 205, they are pretty hard to find, (even moreso over there I suspect!) if it's a good deal and you plan on keeping your truck, it probably won't hurt to pick it up!

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

208's will take some good heavy offroading as long as you don't let anything hit the aluminum case. The case walls are very thin and even a decent hit from something hard could crack the case.

I put my 208 threw some pretty heavy use and it has held up just fine for what I do (rockcrawling mostly). It has a better lowrange then a 205 does too.

Even if it was possible to directly swap a 205 inplace of a 208 (which it isn't even with the right 205) I wouldn't do it. Even if the 205 was free. I like my 208 and I wouldn't loose the lowrange it offers (2.61 vs. 1.96). The 205 may be stronger but its lowrange isn't that good and it is heavier.

Harley