Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I CAN SEE!!!! PRK Surgery Rocks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CaveBlazin, Dec 12, 2003.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you have not had the Lasik or PRK surgery and you are a blind MOFO like I was get it done. It is the easiest surgery I've ever had **wait its the only one Ive had** Well just thought Id let you know it was painless during surgery but kinda uncomfortable after for the first few days BUT WOW I SEE BETTER THAN PERFECT NOW!!!

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Wish I could have it, only problem is I have pupils larger than almost anyone else around! The eye doctor was really surprised. The laser wouldnt work cause it's too narrow and would only hit half or so of my eye or whatever...sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

How much $$$?

4. CaveBlazin

Well it depends on your area some doctors to it for as little as 3 or 400 an eye but some can get up to 1500 and eye. I was fortunate and got mine free well not free I have to pay by going to Iraq for a few months later next year LOL. The Government is now doing it for there troops Actually they have been doing it for the Army,Airforce,and all other services for awhile the USMC just got the new facilitys this past year in my area. WOOHOOO!!!

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I spent 2k on lasik 3 yrs ago....It was the best money I've ever spend. Anyone that has to wear thick glasses or hard contacts(the soft ones didn't correct enough for me) will agree that it's worth almost any amout of money not to have to wear them. Specially if your into any kind of sports /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm going to do it when I get out of college. I'm sick of messing around with contacts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

im still waiting for all the probs with laser surgery to be worked out and the failure rate to drop just a bit more... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

8. CaveBlazin

The error % is down to almost 1% for PRK Im a little leary about lasik the concept of cutting a flap and patching it back is a little scary..

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What's different about PRK? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. CaveBlazin

Well with all things there are opinions. PRK they remove the top layer on your eye with a really soft tooth brush looking thing (you dont feel a thing) and then they do the laser surgery and you get up and your done took about 5 mins an eye for the whole surgery. The draw backs or things that could horribly go wrong with this are when your healing you can experiance some nice pain (nothing a little percocet wont take care of) but after two days it goes away for the most part and after about a week you cant even tell. Anymore questions just ask I studied both of these procedures extensivly!!

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i had 2-3 friends at PSU who got it done... within a year or so they needed glasses to see stuff close up. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

12. CaveBlazin

That happens in some cases just gotta take the bad with the good. I will need glasses to read some day we all will most likely...

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah my Grandma had it done a couple of years ago and my brother had it done last year (lasik). I want to so bad, but I'm scared $hitless to do it. To the two above that had it done, how bad was your eyesight before the process? Just kinda curious, my prescription is +5/+5.5, I wonder if they can work on my blind arse. I'm going nuts wearing contacts all the freaking time and I haven't worn eyeglasses since 87', might scare my wife n' kids if they saw me sport'n coke bottles.

14. CaveBlazin

Well you are some what blind but dont come close to me and my arse. I was a 6.75 and 6.25 and now Im around 20/20 and some days 20/15 They can work on just about anyone there are some exceptions though your pupils may be to big like the person had said above. But if you were contacts stop wearing them for about a month and check it out then. Mine were kinda big and I stopped wearing the contacts and a month later I got the surgery.

15. marine_enlisted

How long did you wait for yours? I went through the preliminary exam about a 5 months ago and they put me on the waiting list as a priority 2 , but I haven't heard anything.

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im gonna need to get contacts on day ( i refuse to wear glasses) its a bitch to see stuff far away, gettin closer all the time lol. I can see fine to read, but thats about it. I know i am too young to have it done read you shouldnt have it done till early to mid 20's something about your eye still growin (true or false?). WIth lasik it takes like 5 mins w/ the laser, do you hafta hold ur eye open for 5 mins??? Or do they like tape it open or something? Also what if you move your eye or something? I can jsut see me blinkin and gettin a slit cut in my eyelid or someone walking in, i glance over and zap im blind lol.

17. CaveBlazin

Were are you at the one at Camp Lejeune I only waited a couple months literally 2 months and I was in on a Priority 4

18. CaveBlazin

Usually after your 21 your eye stops growing, during surgery they have some kinda contraption on your eye that holds the lids open (its weird but it does'nt even bother you at all). They ask you to look at a blinking red light as your staring at it the laser is Zapping you and you cant even tell. I only takes anywhere from 05-45 seconds per eye and that it. You dont stare at it for 5 minutes that would be CRAZY!! And if you move your eye the lazer tracks the movement and follows the eye (amazing modern medicine stuff) and if you move to much it stops and waits for you to get still. No worrys of getting cut were you should'nt it has a map to follow of just your eye and how its supposed to cut it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sweet, i thought it was like 5 mins thats why i was like wtf lol.

20. marine_enlisted

No, I'm at Quantico. I guess maybe I better make some calls.