Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I can't believe...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Sep 30, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I can\'t believe...

...how easy it is to change brake pads and rotors!!!! I am just learning how to do my own stuff, my neighbor showed me how to change 'em last night.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I could not believe how easy it was. Then I started thinking about how much MIDAS charges to do that...I got a little upset /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Just thought I'd share. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: I can\'t believe...

Good deal! Not everything is quite that easy, but nothing is half as hard as you thought it was either...

Rene

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Wait till you learn how easy it is to do a tune up /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Good to hear you are becoming addicted, er... I mean learning /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

for as manytimes as i have had to do breaks..i can have it done start to finish in about an 1 1/2-2 hours depending on if the rear needs to be done or not..the more ya work on your truck the better and faster you will be at doin stuff....

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hour and a half? turning the rotors too? heck front pads might take 15 minutes to do..provided it takes you 10 minutes to jack the truck up and put jackstands under it..

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hour and a half? turning the rotors too? heck front pads might take 15 minutes to do..provided it takes you 10 minutes to jack the truck up and put jackstands under it..

[/ QUOTE ]

roll truck into the shop..forklift under the front axle...lift up...throw stands under frame...and grab the impact and get goin...

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Good deal, man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Feels good to do something yourself! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thumbs up to your neighbor for helping you out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeap pretty straight forward..and all other cars are basicly the same idea as well. and just think..you can charge ur friends to do it yourself..they get a better deal..and you make some $$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

yup. once you do more and more stuff, the easier everything gets. i'm 20, and i've been working on my cars/ trucks since i was 16. i just removed, and rebuilt my 350, and just put it back in, and it runs great now. i also rebuilt the axles, and installed gears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Good job. Things do get way quicker the more you do them, so you'll be even more suprised next time you do brakes. My first tranny removal took me 1 1/2 days, now I get them out in under 2 hours.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If ya ever need help on the weekends, drop me a line. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

just don't tell your friends/family and expect to get paid for your work unless you are ready to be a hardass. I am a pushover and have been doing tuneups, oil changes, and brakes for my bro in law and father in law for 10 years with nary an offer of compensation for my time. I don't have the heart to say no or ask for money but alas such is life and I get used /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeap pretty straight forward..and all other cars are basicly the same idea as well. and just think..you can charge ur friends to do it yourself..they get a better deal..and you make some $$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and if they have Fords then they will be regular customers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif j/k, it is amazing how simple and easy it is, I have done a few different vehicles now for friends and they all pretty much are the same.

14. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    If ya ever need help on the weekends, drop me a line. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I may just take you up on that...still have your number in my PM's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...Just been tied up in a HUGE fawking mess with the sell of our house /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...almost done! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

if you wanna make some real $$$, start changing out Flux Capacitors on 1985 delorians. you can buy them in bulk on ebay, and charge people a whole lot to change them out. they tend to wear out pretty quick too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I may just take you up on that...still have your number in my PM's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...Just been tied up in a HUGE fawking mess with the sell of our house /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...almost done! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of know that deal. I've got to unfawk my garage so I can get tearing into my truck. I've got axles, springs, fans, and transfer cases to put in so I can actually get some wheeling in next year..........

17. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm just like you. Never even changed my own oil until I bought my Blazer. Since then, with a little help from friends like INTERCEPTOR, I have done my brakes, changed my oil (CAN"T BELIEVE I PAID SOMEBODY TO DO THAT!!!), t-case and tranny fluid, replaced brake lines, replaced a driveshaft and an ignition. Feels good learning all that stuff. Now I need somebody to teach me how to do electrical, since mine caught fire last week /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. BlazerWheels

Yeah, my dad(not very mechanically inclined) taught me how to change my oil when I first started driving...always had the itch to learn, just never had anyone to show me...Can't wait to learn more and do more!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Too bad about the fire /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea having some one to show you is nice..my dad happens to be a mechanic..and growing up around him and learning from him is where i learn most of what i know..now im going to school for it to learn more! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When I was 12 years old I started to learn to work on cars because I knew I'd want to build a truck someday. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif When I was in 3rd grade I started reading Fourwheeler and ever since then I wanted a truck on 35s.

Then a few years later that wasn't cool anymore so I had to do a little more lift and some 38s. I'm sure that'll wear off too.