Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i cant figure out which motor to build,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok this will be the First motor i ever attempt to build,,,,, i need it for all around wheeling, Rocks, Trails, Mud, and some sand, i need to be on somewhat of a budget... my first though was a 383 but i been hearing some good and some bad things abuot them, as in wearing out faster, next thought was a 454, but i figure thats gonna weigh a lot more..? then i thought about a 396 but i figure thats gonna weigh about the same as a 454, If you were on a budget what would you build for the best all around motor, thx

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a small block 350 is the best budget all around engine that i know of, they're so common that parts aren't really expensive.

3. Silver84k5

yea i hear ya, but ive alreayd had one of those, i raelly think the 383 is the way to go, but hearing somone talk about it not lasting long kinda steers me away, i mean [censored] i dont want to drop 2k-3k into something for it to not last long....

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah but the torque of a 383 sure sounds fun! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

350 is definitely gonna be your easiest route. You can build the sh*t out of a 350, it just depends on your budget. A 383 would be a good route, again because of parts availability. As for the premature wearing out, I know somebody with a 383 with about 175,000 miles on it and its still holding up fine--it just depends the quality of the build.

Will

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I really doubt 383's wear out fast. I'm gonna be building a 383 because those things are great engines especially for wheelin. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

IF ya wanna go cheap, go the 350 route. Tons of cheap readily available parts, and just about everyone on the trail runs some version of the 350..even most jeeps. If ya want more power than a 454 is the only way to go. more grunt off the line, though they seem to be a lot more expensive when I sourced parts for them. Plus ya can't beat the cool factor that a big block provides. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I would also suggest a 350 for your first rebuild. Like the others said, parts are plentiful and cheap compared to just about any other motor out there. You can build a 350 and get alot of power out of it, but it really just depends on which motor you want.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Rebuilding the 350 is the cheapest. A 383 will make a lot more torque, but the price will go up considerably because you'll have to buy the crank and pistons and have the block relieved to clear the extra stroke. The cost of a well-built 383 can get you right into the price range of a mild 454. But if you start building up a 454 the cost can get pretty crazy. Aftermarket heads for a 454 run $1,500 and up. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif An Edelbrock TBI intake for my 454 cost $250, vs. $150 for one to fit a small block. My cam and lifters were $165, vs. right at $100 for a small block. Everything that you buy for a 454 will cost more and when you add it all up, you're talking about some real money!

The 454 will make some serious power, even in stock trim. If you want to really go nuts, the 496 in Shawn's Potent Rodent makes SERIOUS power! It's a stroked 454 with Edelbrock heads and Holley port fuel injection and plenty of massaging. It's been on the chassis dyno and made 525 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif But building that bad boy would be a real budget buster. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

you can get 350 parts anywhere...even a junkyard. There's a reason their so popular, and GM has left them pretty much the same for so many years it's not even funny. By far the easiest way to go. And you can walk in to any parts store and they will have just about anything you need for the 350.

11. Silver84k5

i think im going to do the 383 and just take my time to get it done right. only problem is i dont have too many buddies around me that are engine Gurus heh, so ill be asking a lot more questions to you guys, Thx for all the responses

12. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Why dont you build a 400 small block. With the right cam, they make all kinds of low end torque and its lighter than a big block. Chevy made them from 1970 till 1980, so you should be able to find one. The only disadvantage is, the factory cylinder heads could not take alot of heat because of the steamholes located in the head, they crack right there. I have been able to use 350 heads with out drilling them with no problems.

13. Silver84k5

Cuz i already got a 350 block, and ive been wanting a 383 for some time now

14. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Ok then, I have built a 383 for my 1967 Camaro. And let me tell you, It flies. I turn it 6500 rpm with a four speed car and it runs 12.5 1/4s at 110mph street car. The only thing I wish I would done different is use the 350 5.7 long rods than the 400 5.565 rods. The reason for that is its puts less piston skirt pressure on the cylinder bore. The longer rod is better. Make shure you spend the extra on good rod bolts and balance the engine. It should last a long time. And also you have to order the pistions for the rod length that you use.

15. Silver84k5

how deep did you have to dig in the bank for it?, how much is it to have it balanced (ballpark figure)

16. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Having the rotating assembly balanced cost 150.00 around here. I blew 4000.00+on the long block assembly. But that was with Manley stainless valves,screw in studs and guide plates, complete comp cam valve train set up,forged pistions and more. Look up northen auto parts in souix city Iowa. The sell alot of engine parts for 383 build ups. I'd probally run a true flat top {two valve relief} piston and a 76cc head. That will get you 10.1 compresion on pump gas.