Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i cant get my brakes bleed!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jan 14, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok guys i am attempting to bleed my brakes and am having nothing short of hell doing it, i just replaced the mater cylinder on it and barely have any pedal at all. i am not new to this process but this one is getting the better of me. i just bought a one man bleeder with the magnetic bottle and the hose, but i cant seem to get much progress, so does anyone have any tricks? i am used to the 2person conventional way. my dad suggested using engine vacuum to do it, is that effective? if so how do i go about rigging it up? also what about using a garden sprayer? and just fab up a plate with a nipple and some sort of gasket material. I NEED HELP ASAP!!!!! thanks guys

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should start the bleeding proccess at the master cylinder first. This is going to take two people (one at the brake pedal and another at the master cylinder). Have somebody pump the brake pedal three times and hold it, then loosen one of the brake lines at the master cylineder just enough to let fluid escape, and then close it. Then do the same for the other brake line on the master cylinder. After you finnish the master cylinder, then move to the front left caliper, and bleed that (using the same two person system). then move to the right front caliper, left rear wheel cylinder, and last the right rear wheel cylinder. You will only need to bleed each item three times at most. After you have completed this, then gravity bleed each caliper and wheel cylinder for a few minutes with the bleeder tool you have. This should do it for you.

Another thing I do to get all the air out of the brake line, is to drive it around for a couple of days, after I have done the previously mentioned procces, and then gravity bleed it again with a small gravity bleeder tool like you have.

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I've tried using similar kits with negative results. Now, I just let gravity bleed for a bit and then have the wife come out and be a pedal pusher.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

6. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

this is what i do for hard to bleed brakes. Go to Harbor freight and get a vacuum pump. the kind that uses a venturi and your air compressor to pull vacuum. they are around 15-20 bucks. I used a piece of fuel line and a hose clamp on the suction side. the fuel line had a vaccum line forced in to the end of it to reduce the size down. Take the top off of the Master cylinder and make sure it is full. go to your first caliper and stick the vacuum suction line on the bleeder. hook up your air compressor and let it START SUCKIN!crack open the bleeder and it will pull all the air out and then fluid will follow. be warned the vacuum pump will ooze brake fluid on the ground out of the seams at the bottom, and the MC will drop kinda quick so watch it. this works awsome, followed by a quicky manual bleed. it is especially good for when you change lots of brake parts and loose all of the fluid. I have had real problems in the past getting air out of bends in the lines after a full fluid loss, but this kicks butt. and it is only 20 something bucks. I have done this several times over a few year period and the vacuum pump is holding up fine.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Do a SEARCH!!..March 08,2005...

Type "Vacuum Bleeder" in the "Search" colum..a post about "Whats The Best Way To Bleed Brakes" has my post in there on hoow to make a vaccuum bleeder using engine vacuum to bleed the brakes..

If I actually knew as much about using a computer as I do bleeding brakes,I'd have put the link up for you..but I'm computer stupid..:rolleyes:

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner