Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I cant get my old springs off!!!!!!!...Help Please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Oct 6, 2001.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Fellow K5'ers.....I can not get my old springs off...The bushing is rusted to the shackle bolt...so it rotates with the bolt. After hack sawing the aft bolt off I went the forward bolt and the way the mount is designed/set up it is impossible to get a wrench on it.....by the way Im talking about the rear springs

Do you take a grinder and grind the bolt off between the shackle and spring or what ?.......Please, any Ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Tom

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well I'd just torch it off. Cut off the spring so you just have the bushing. Then take a torch and cut out the middle so the sides should just fall off. By the way, its always a good idea to drop your gas tank for safety. I see people owork on springs alot with tanks on, but I'm just warning you so you don't get blown up!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

3. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

When I lifted my Toy&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I used a 5lb sledge, a good size drift pin, a steady hand, and alot of sweat.

4. 90idahoblazer

I have to get the nut off first.....There is not enough room to get wrench on the nut.....other wise I could use a punch.....Whoever designed the front spring mount for the rear springs...neeeds to give their engineering degree back....Thanks for the advise though....every little bit helps....Im a jet mechanic by trade and I have seen some messed up stuff before....but this takes the cake...I need more inputs please...Thanks,,,,I dont have access to a torch...wish I did

5. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Just went out to look at mine, a boxed end wrench with a bend modification made to it or a flare nut wrench with same mod. Boxed end wrenches are a little bit thinner though. ?????

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Those nuts are a bear. First, did you soak them with PB Blaster or something similar? Gotta do that............then wait a while. The go at it. If you have rounded the bolts off now, try a needle nose type Vise Grip. I did that on one side of my truck. Make darn sure you can barely close the Vise Grip and go at it. But use PB Blaster first..........and let soak a while.

If nothing above works, get a sawzall and a NEW metal cutting blade and cut the bolt.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

Since most people, like myself, don't have easy access to a torch. I used a circular saw with a metal cutting blade.

I have done 3 sets the same way and it works great! You can cut between the spring and mount brackets. The bolt ends will fall out and spring falls down.

WORKS GREAT!

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

On my '73 the forward rear spring mount has a sort of pocket on the frame side of the mount. I've ususally used a long wrench inserted from nearly directly overhead to catch the nut. Then when I turn the bolt and the nut tries to turn, the end of the wrench catches on the underside of the bed locking the nut while I turn the bolt. I usually use a closed end wrench for grabbing the nut. I'm not sure if thats the same bolt/nut as the one you're talking about but hopefully that helps in some way :) I also hope it makes sense ;)

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Dont even bother messing around with them. If you try to turn the bolt, and it turns the whole bushing, its useless to resist. Just cut them off between the spring and the mount. The ends of the bolt will fall off, then the spring will drop out. When its out, you take your drill and poke a bunch of holes thru the rubber bushing all the way around. The center will fall out, punch out the old outer sleeve, and insert the new bushings. You will end up messing around all day if you try to drive them out without cutting them off.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Someone on here recommended a grinder when I had the same problem, and it worked great.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

11. 90idahoblazer

Thanks guys ...I love this site....Due to the fact that there is somebody in here that has experianced every senerio that you can possibly think of.....Im going right now to find a grinder or a metal blade for my saw....cut tose S.O.B.'s off....thanks guys again

12. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

saws all's work great too

Doug Krebs

13. 90idahoblazer

Hey guys thanks for the Info....I got them off with a metal saw on my circular saw worked great!!!!!Now I just need bolts....this little po-dunk town done have anything but grade 5 bolts....I dont know if I need that strong of a bolt or not...Any ways thanks for the tips

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good time to consider the greasable bolts from ORD............and their poly bushings.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

15. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

To get my front springs off, I used a Porta-band, an electric grinder w/ cutoff wheel, a sawzall, a dremel, a 4lb BFH, 2 prybars and some WD-40. It was not an easy task... Of course, mine is a 1978, not a 1990 - I had an extra 12 yrs of rust to contend with. But the problem was the same - metal sleeve rusted to shackle bolt. Cut the f#$@ers off!