Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I can't get them to stay up...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyHuny, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I can\'t get them to stay up...

My Christmas lights that is. I want to put some on the windows of my apartment but everything I have tried has failed. I tried putting them on the area around the window. Duct tape, scotch tape, electrical tape, thumb tacks, bubble gum, staples. I put them up and in a few minutes they all at once come crashing down and the people outside my apartment get a nice show of me cussing to nobody in front of the window whilst tangled in the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The ones around my fireplace have stayed nicely with a few nails because it is flat against the wall and not upside down like on the window.

Would double sided sticky tape work? What do you all use? They are now all tangled in my blinds sticking in and out of them. At least they are up in the window?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am not here much and have not read but a few posts so my apologies if this has been asked before.

2. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

Re: I can\'t get them to stay up...

Is there a ledge around your window??? Just a small flap of metal overhanging???? I used the gutter hangers for around my windows and it worked great!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A few small nails in the right spots should take care of it.

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Go to Home Depot... In the electrical section they have these little sticky tape things that will hold a small wire tie. They are white, and about 5/8" square. They stick very well to just about any surface yet they come off without much difficulty. A monster truck guy next door to my friend's shop used them to put lights all over the truck for a parade. Worked very well and when he removed them the paint didn't come off..

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

yeah, use the little tie pads. we use them here at work in the wiring department, and a couple hundred of them somehow ended up at my house.
    go figure, they even came with 4" zippie ties.
    i use them for mounting seasonal crap on the front door (metal), stereo installation, xmas lights on the interior, all kinds of uses.
    you could also find them at a radio shack kinda place. with the cable ties and whatnot.
    use a few more than you think, and use wire ties from garbage bags or whatever. that way you can adjust the whole thing if you need to. you can leave them stuck in the window; they're way too small to notice.

barring those, i would say a curtain rod, the kind that you unscrew to make longer, and just wrap the lights on that for the top, and the sides should stay there.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

My wife had a similar dilemma...

After she attacked the window frame with about 3 billion staples, requiring me to repair the drywall last year, I came up with a solution: use a hot glue gun (an inexpensive one from Walgreen's or the like). Works perfectly and it doesn't cause any damage.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

have you tried cleaning your window off with alcohol yet that might help and just be sure when you tape the window its is dry if you havent already doen that and if that doesnt work you have defective christams windows. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thanks you guy. I will try all of your suggestions. I do not have a metal ledge unfortunately. That would have been great if I did. I tried some staples that didn't work but a great idea as well. I think the next stop is Home Depot. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif