Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I can't run anymore...... where are the running know-it-alls?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I can\'t run anymore...... where are the running know-it-alls?!?!?!?!?!

Okay... As you all probably know by now, I'm close (like a month and ten days close) to taking off for Basic Training...

In preperation, I've been running every night for the last month or so... I also do a crap load of situps and pushups, but that's not what I'm worried about right now...

I got up to running a half mile in 11 minutes flat, I need to do 11:57 to graduate, so I'm good for that... But I have to run 2 miles in 16:45... So since I can do the mile and a half, I was going to start running 2 miles every night and hopefully get up to 2.5-3 miles by the time I leave...

So last Sunday (a week and a half ago), I said okay, time to start running 2 miles... No go... I got to 6 laps (it's a 1/10 mile track) and I got the worst cramp in my side I've ever experienced, I couldn't run any further as much as I tried, so much hurt...

So I was all pissed off and came home... Monday night, I ran a mile but again I got the same thing... Last night I didn't run, I stayed in the parking lot of a restaurant with 2 other guys and we were looking at our 4wd trucks... for hours... I felt like such a redneck /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

So anyway... EVERY TIME without fail, I have been physically unable to run more than a mile, for whatever reason... I can go about 2 laps before it just hurts too much to keep going...

I can't find anything on yahoo, so maybe some of y'all runners can have an idea???? I'm rather pissed off, because if I suddenly can't even run a mile, how the hell am I going to run 2 miles+ when it really counts?!?!?!?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Re: I can\'t run anymore...... where are the running know-it-alls?!?!?!?!?!

I can't even run around my block without slowing down and breathing hard or getting some sort of ache. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm so out of shape, I dive in my pool and swim to the shallow end under the water, and Im breathing heavily /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I'm so out of shape, I look at the BOTD and I'm breathing heavily. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't worry. They will kick your butt hard enough in boot to make you run like your ass was catchin.

"Sergeant Brown is turning green"
    "Someone pissed in his canteen"

"Sergeant stripes they give me class"
    "He just wants to kick our ass"

"Sound off"
    "one two"

"Sound off"
    "three four"

"Sound off"
    "one two three four"

"THREE FOUR"

6. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

are you trying to make your time for the 2 mile instantly? Try running a little slower and work your way up to 2 miles. Your body is probably not used to it. Just keep trying and you will eventually make your time. I used to run track and had the same problem cause I was a sprinter not the long distance crap. Took me about a month to get used to running the longer distances. Drink lots of water.

7. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like duece said I always thought it was a hydration thing.

8. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

slow your pace when you feel winded and drink 'lots' of water, just not before you run. you should drink during the day and after you run, but not much within the hour before you actually run. it won't happen over night but you'll get there. good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I must say DRINK WATER!! Im 100% sure the cramps with go away. You need to drink at least 64oz of water a day at minimum. That will make it all go away LOL.. But your on the right track with increasing your times just keep running and eventually it will get better. Good Luck

10. bowtiebstrd

bowtiebstrd Registered Member

drink water of course ... but also, make sure you're stretching properly. i used to get cramps in my side just about every time i ran. i happened across a stretch that thoroughly works that area and haven't had 'em since.

one more thing ... sometimes, you HAVE to push yourself beyond those points where you think you can't go anymore. that's the best way to progress yourself.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Make sure you're not eating too soon before the run.............and keep yourself hydrated all day, not just right before the run..............also sounds like you're going out too fast. Work up to the 2 miles at about a 10 minute pace for starters, then start bring the speed up. You can also mix in a bit of speedwork a couple of times a week. Go to a local school with a 400m/yd track and do a few 'gassers' running a 400 as fast as you can. Figure 4 x 400 is a mile (apx) so figure if you're doing a 400 in sub 2 minutes you're running an 8 minute mile. Make SURE you have good running shoes.........and to be honest if you've never been properly fitted, go to a running store, have them watch you walk/run and they will recommend the proper shoes for YOU, not based on an ad you see on TV. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The best way to get in shape for running is to add resistance. Sprint up bleachers, jog down, then sprint up again or run with ankle weights. It works, I used to run under 7 minute miles.

13. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

Bannanas will also help with the crapping. Also helps in the prevention of muscle pulls. I try to eat a bannana everyday. They are chock full of potassium goodness.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Lots of fluids, and a good sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade to replace vitamins.

John

15. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Like CaveBlazer said you need to drink water, make sure you stretch good. Also dont try to run at a fast pace your first time out. Start off slow and work your way up, just like sit-ups and push-ups.

I run a 11:30 2 mile and I am 32 and have 13 years in. I train people all the time who cant run. You need to start off slow, run like a 9-10 min mile pace. Then start tring to run a lil faster. Dont worry about your run time there will be guys who will run worse than you. The will train you to run and teach you everything else you need to know.

Also how much do you weight, that is a facter also if you are a big guy.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bannanas will also help with the crapping. Also helps in the prevention of muscle pulls. I try to eat a bannana everyday. They are chock full of potassium goodness.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

woah I never new that (about preventing pulling muscles) thats neat /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

potassium helps dissolve lactic acid.

i wouldnt worry about the running. they will make you run whether you like it or not

18. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bannanas will also help with the crapping.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I didn't know that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But I think they are referring to running (i.e. jogging) , not the runs. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bannanas will also help with the crapping.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I didn't know that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But I think they are referring to running (i.e. jogging) , not the runs. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

What I haven't seen anyone comment on is that you are running EVERY DAY, and you are having pains and can't seem to make any progress. Well your body needs rest to rebuild itself. You shouldn't be running every day like that. Give your body a day of rest between each running day.

I don't know which branch of the service you are going to, but I just came back from Army Basic Training and we didn't run every day. It was every other day, and it was pretty easy at that.

Do yourself a favor and don't push yourself too hard right before you ship out. You won't do yourself any good if you hurt yourself right before you ship and then you end up getting yourself on profile.

Basic Training is pretty easy. They will give you time to climatize (getting used to the climate) before they make you do anything truly physical. Plus 5 to 7 days you spend at reception doing nothing will get you ready to go to basic.

1/2 a mile in 11 mins is crazy though, your cardio needs a lot of work. If anything you should be working out on treadmills and exercise bikes. You will not be able to leave reception and go to basic with your cycle if you can't pass the 1 mile run time limit of 8:30 or less. You will be sent to fat camp. this is ofcourse if you're going to the Army. Dunno bout the Squiddies or the Chair Force /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif