Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I challenge you to a duel... (ok, its just Chevy fullsize Trivia)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 23, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

... a duel of the minds. Maybe I'm just feeling competitive as I write this, but I was thinking I'd like to pitch my knowledge of 1973-1980 Chevy's against someone.

Or are there two others who would like to step up to the plate and challenge each other? I'm not exactly sure how this would be set up though.

So...who thinks they know the most? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: I challenge you to a duel...

don't look at me,i can fix or build most anything.i rebuilt my 79 from the frame up(or should i say out)not everything. new suspension.engine,body,etc.but to argue about detail's ,that's why i joined this site. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Sir, ah say sir, I challenge you to a DUEL! I nominate R72K5, he knows all kinds of little random things that were different year to year, I have no idea how he learns such little details so well.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... a duel of the minds. Maybe I'm just feeling competitive as I write this, but I was thinking I'd like to pitch my knowledge of 1973-1980 Chevy's against someone.

Or are there two others who would like to step up to the plate and challenge each other? I'm not exactly sure how this would be set up though.

So...who thinks they know the most? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No no no.....................That ain't the way to be challenging no one to no duel, let I unleash my literary holiness amongst your post.....................

[ QUOTE ]
    I, Mountainexplorer, hereby declare that I am the almighty, the all knowing and thereby declared ruler in the knowledge base that is which is the 73-80 Chevrolet vehicle.

Therefore, I hereby place the call throughout the free world for any man, woman, child and/or other life being to enter my domain and challenge me for the 73-80 Chevrolet Knowledge World Heavyweight Championship.

Let those who possess pure heart, strong will and steel nerves to enter my domain and let me, mountainexplorer lay the smack down on your candya**!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How's that?

5. mountainexplorer

Much more dramatic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But, in all fairness, I know that alot of people could destroy me with the amount that they know. So I can't claim to be almighty in any way.

Lets try this for a start;

What changes occured from the years 1976 to 1977 in fullsize Chevy pickups/Blazer/Suburbans?

(I can think of quite a few... some very detailed)

What can a person find that all 1980 Chevy 4x4 fullsizes had from the factory (a one year only specification) that separate that year from 1973-1987?

And heres an even easier one... what year was the last year for the gas cap; and what year was the 1st year for the fuel doors?

In what year did FS Chevy 4x4s change from a yoke style front output on T-cases to the 4-bolt flange style?

Who can answer all these (I bet alot of you can). I'll have to go think up some harder ones.
    I'll probably have one by the time I get back online. I'm leaving to go look at and maybe buy a winch, so I wont get to see if anyone replies right away. Probably no one will anyway. (lack of interest)

Anyone think they have a question or fact about 1973-1987 Chevy's... or even '67-'87 that can stump everyone else?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But, in all fairness,

[/ QUOTE ]

It ain't about being fair. It's about sacking up, kicking a** and taking names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What can a person find that all 1980 Chevy 4x4 fullsizes had from the factory (a one year only specification) that separate that year from 1973-1987?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, an odometer that reads in the 100,000's? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Much more dramatic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But, in all fairness, I know that alot of people could destroy me with the amount that they know. So I can't claim to be almighty in any way.

Lets try this for a start;

What changes occured from the years 1976 to 1977 in fullsize Chevy pickups/Blazer/Suburbans?

77 was the intro year for the K30...

(I can think of quite a few... some very detailed)

NP 205, no matter what tranny was spec'd. All were slip yoke versions though.

And heres an even easier one... what year was the last year for the gas cap; and what year was the 1st year for the fuel doors?

They all had gas caps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but the external gas cap was '80 I think. 81 would be the first year for fuel doors

In what year did FS Chevy 4x4s change from a yoke style front output on T-cases to the 4-bolt flange style?

77 I think

Who can answer all these (I bet alot of you can). I'll have to go think up some harder ones.
    I'll probably have one by the time I get back online. I'm leaving to go look at and maybe buy a winch, so I wont get to see if anyone replies right away. Probably no one will anyway. (lack of interest)

Anyone think they have a question or fact about 1973-1987 Chevy's... or even '67-'87 that can stump everyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

My trivia skills aren't the best...but this could be a fun post.

What was special about 1974 (drivetrain)

What was the first year a diesel was offered? What was the oddball thing about the first year 6.2?

Was the SM 465 ever offered in a K5 with the 6.2?

Rene

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

'74 was the np203 with sm465 (maybe? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

yup...

Rene

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

79 was the 1st year for the gas door.

76 on the yoke to flange output.

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Is the gas door just for K5's? My '77 has a gas door, but what's to say the bed wasn't swapped with a 79 or later at some point in the past.

13. mountainexplorer

I think between all you guys, you pretty much got all the answers I was thinking.

Except other changes from 1976-1977 year: Interior Door panels- from half panels to full panels. Some wiring harness changes. Also, on 3/4 tons, I belive '76 was the last year of the "big" external locking hub and '77 was the 1st year of the tapered internal hub. Shoulder seatbelts instead of just lap belts.

Also, grille change. 1973-1974s grilles were the same (inset) with the release in the top center of the grille. 1975 and 1976 grilles were the same (set flush with the front of the core support and with the latch just to the right (drivers side) of top center. 1977-1980 were top-center positioned hood release latches. I think '77 was the earliest I've seen so far of an in the cab hood release. 1980's Chevys (some at least) had a chromed plastic front grille, and the factory option rectangular headlights rather than round.

I'm sure we all know the changes in '81.

I'd come up with more if I kept thinking, but my mind is a bit deterred beings that since my last post, I ruined the motor in my plow truck. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

If I goofed on the accuracy of any info, please correct me.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

73-80, no. But anytime someone thinks they know more than me for appearance of the 81-87 models, I'm all for it.

I personally don't care for the 73-80 models myself and have never owned one....yet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. mountainexplorer

Try me on the '81-'87 models. Give me your best shot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My weakness is that I've only parted out about 5-8 rigs that fall into those years, mostly early '80s.

Changes from 1980 to 1981. Slant nose front end (duh) with either 4-headlights or two. Emblems placed lower on fenders. Grille variations: 1981-1982 grille, 1983-1984 grille, 1985-1987 grille. 1981-1982?...chrome trim around grille and headlights altered slightly again in '83 and up. 1983 or 1984... headlight bezels underwent a slight change (smoother look in the middle between the two headlights for quad headlight fronts).

Wing window slight change, window crank handle change, Semi-floater 14 bolt rear in 3/4 tons and all front ends were 10 bolts in 1/2 and 3/4 tons. NP208 T-case in all 3/4 and 1/2 tons regardless of tranny (TH350 and 700R4 ended up sharing the same 27 spline input 208, and TH400 and SM465s shared the same 31 spline input 208). No more 203. Of course, all 1-tons still had a full-floater 14 bolt (or Dana 70 dually), Dana 60 front and NP205 with an SM465 or TH400.

Front/rear bumpers slightly changed on K5s/Suburbans and trucks, and the front framehorns were altered... looking more like a '73-'80 frame cut off at an angle. Different/separate bumper brackets were used to mount the bumper; front bumper side-support brackets bolted to the frame with two bolts rather than one. Tailgate slightly changed (in the slanted angle of the sides of the center indent). Aluminum tailgate trim pieces had a black ring imbedded around them. Heavier "ridge" on top-inner part of tailgate. Thinner trim piece (vs. thicker/wider up to '80) around the back of the cabs for cabs with trim. Different types of side moulding (no more aluminum strips). Squarish dash pad, slightly altered instrument cluster bezel and door panels.

Door handles: Single chrome bar, rather than a curved style handle (smaller steel curved handle from '73-'76; larger plastic one from '77-'80; and flat chrome one '81-'87. 1984 was 1st year of the wiper switch and dimmer switch on the column. '84 was the 1st year of the hydraulic actuated clutch rather than linkage. 12 bolt rears phased out in 1982, and in '83 replaced by 10 bolts. (In 1981) Bench seats slightly changed in the rails/handle, and how the seatbelts come up through.

1981-1982, turn signal lenses in front bumper; 1983-up lenses in grille (or under headlights if not a quad-headlight front). From 1980 to '81 and up trucks, the body mounts changed slightly and the rear cab mounts (instead of being tall) were the same as the other mounts, with the frame mount brackets being mounted slightly higher for the rear of the cab. Front core support mounts also changed a little I believe from '80-'81. Bed bolt positions changed a bit, differing from the evenly spaced 4-in-front/4-in-back '73-'80 bed bolting holes. Fuel tank filler necks were slightly changed in 1983? using a plastic insert.

Power Steering line fittings to the steering box changed to the o-ring style in 1980 and stayed that way through the 80's. AC Compressor became shorter and smaller in '81-up. Battery tray changed from being mounted against(parallel) the core support to being parellel to the pass fender. Sway bar mounts (the rubber parts) were slightly different.

Horn button in steering wheel changed for a while. Shifter knobs on 4spds were round/rounder (2 variations in '81-'87), rather than the '73-'80 shape. Front brakelines mounted on a bracket spacing the connection away from the frame about an inch. Somewhere along the line ('86?) they decided to mold the center hump into one piece (not unboltable).

3/4 ton front backing plates went from a bracket with a tin skirt in '73-'76, to full solid in '77 and somewhere in the mid/late 80's went back to a style in between... a solid piece with a partial tin skirt. Later model 10 bolt fronts had an extra "fin" or "rib" on the housing as part of the pumpkin. Late '80s 1-ton 14 bolt FF's had a finned pumpkin housing for better cooling.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only error that I can seem to find in that is that 85 was the first year for hydraulic clutch, not 84.

Damn, I thought you said you didn't know the 81-87 rigs? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    73-80, no. But anytime someone thinks they know more than me for appearance of the 81-87 models, I'm all for it.

I personally don't care for the 73-80 models myself and have never owned one....yet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Same here, not as much interested in 69-80 but know a fair amount of info on 81-91's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Q: What CARBED 81-86 trucks didn't have a vaccum TTC switch to control converter lockup but STILL had lockup?

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

82 was the firt year for the 6.2 and the 465 was never in a blazer with a diesel.(in stock form,LOL)

19. mountainexplorer

Ok, you got me on that one. I knew that '85 was hydraulic, and '83 was manual linkage... I just hadn't owned an '84 4spd rig to "refer" to in my mind, so I went out on a limb and guessed '84. So, what else did I miss? I'm sure theres some bracket on the frame or piece of molding that I forgot about. This is all based on my observations from owning/parting out or seeing friends rigs, and of course, some info I've picked up on here the past few years as I've beena member. Was '83 the 1st year of the 700R4 in fullsizes? I know more details about '73-'80 rigs, but I don't feel like writing a book right now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

rjfguitar- you got me on that one. I start getting really dumb when it comes to all the 80's relays/controls/switches/sensors etc.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

82 first year for 700R4

86 first year for a cargo light for the bed AFAIK.

86 first year for one piece rear main seal motors

87 first year since 81 or so you could get a 1/2 ton rig with a 350

85 switch to round pattern adapter transfer cases

85 switch to the new style crossmember for the new adapter