Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i DARE you cops to defend this guys actions!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ducttape114, Dec 27, 2002.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ok, its chrismas night, me and the family are going to the dunes to BBQ our chrismas hot dogs. so we are crusing down the beach (my mom is in my truck, my sis is in my dads truck). so im going down the beach, and pass a ranger who pulls in behind me and follows me. shortly after that his buddy comes up and follows me too. by this time i knew what was coming, it was just a matter of time. a few seconds later the lights come on. so he does his "im a baddass" walk/strut up next to my truck and tells me my license plate isn't clearly visable. ok seriosly, its bolted to the back bumper, how much more clearly visable can it be? so he runs my plates but dosnt ask for my insurance or even my ID. gives me a load of crap about how my bumpers dont look safe, my dash board isnt normal, my tail lights arnt bright enough. so basially he pulls me and my mom over for 15 min just to be a dick, then sends me on my way and tells me to have a merry christmas. errrrrrrrrrr

2. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

DANG /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    it sounds like this guy was pissed to be working on Christmas and you were his way to vent.
    I'm not a cop(had quite a few run ins with them /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
    but there is no reason for that kinda of treatment /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifAre rangers really cops anyway?

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Are rangers really cops anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You better believe it !!! They have every legal obligation to enforce ANY violation they witness...and they WILL !! Musta been a slow night (Christmas night - go figure). They musta been bored and were LOOKING for trouble! What a prick !! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    The Fish and Wildlife officers I know are generally good guys (some are "good ol' boys") and will not harass anyone unless they are breaking some law. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If you ARE breaking the law - well ..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

you better believe it!!!

oh ok

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yepper doddle

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

You fit the discription....book him Danno!!

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

So why don't you post a pic of your plate as it appearred on that day? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

ok seriosly, its bolted to the back bumper, how much more clearly visable can it be?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't mean anything, see plates bolted on the bumper all the time that are partially covered by a trailer hitch ball. But of course I would still be a jerk after I mad that guy wipe the friggin diesel off his registration tabs since I had a suspicion they were expired, and that's after I got the "WWJD" speech. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ] Yes and No. In Wyoming (as with most states in the union.) A "Park Ranger would have to be working in an official capacity in one of the following:

<font color="red"> (vi) "Peace officer" includes the following officers assigned to duty in the state of Wyoming:

(A) Any duly authorized sheriff, under sheriff or deputy sheriff;

(B) Any duly authorized member of a municipal police force, a college or university campus police force or the Wyoming highway patrol;

(C) Game and fish law enforcement personnel qualified pursuant to W.S. 9-1-701 through 9-1-707 and:

(I) When enforcing felony statutes following observation or discovery of the commission of a felony which was observed or discovered during the performance of their statutory duties;

(II) While responding to requests to assist other peace officers performing their official duties or when enforcing a valid arrest warrant for any crime; or

(III) When enforcing any provision of title 23 and chapter 13 of title 41, any rule and regulation promulgated by the Wyoming game and fish commission or any other statute for which they are granted statutory enforcement authority.

(D) Agents of the division of criminal investigation appointed pursuant to W.S. 9-1-613 who have qualified pursuant to W.S. 9-1-701 through 9-1-707;

(E) Any duly authorized arson investigator employed by the state fire marshal;

(F) Investigators and brand inspectors of the Wyoming livestock board who have qualified pursuant to W.S. 9-1-701 through 9-1-707 when:

(I) Enforcing W.S. 6-3-201, 6-3-203, 6-3-401 through 6-3-403, 6-3-407, 6-3-410, 6-3-601 through 6-3-603, 6-3-607, 6-3-610 through 6-3-612, 6-9-202, 35-10-101, 35-10-102 and 35-10-104, the provisions of title 11 and any laws prohibiting theft or mutilation of livestock or any part thereof and any rule or regulation promulgated by the Wyoming livestock board or any other law for which they are granted statutory enforcement authority;

(II) Responding to a request to assist another peace officer as defined in this paragraph performing his official duty; or

(III) Enforcing a valid arrest warrant for a crime specified in subdivision (F)(I) of this paragraph.

(G) Federal law enforcement agents;

(H) Investigators employed by the Wyoming state board of outfitters and professional guides and qualified pursuant to W.S. 9-1-701 through 9-1-707, when enforcing W.S. 23-2-401 and 23-2-406 through 23-2-418 and board rules and regulations promulgated under W.S. 23-2-410(a)(ii);

(J) Any duly authorized detention officer who has qualified pursuant to W.S. 9-1-701 through 9-1-707, when engaged in the performance of his duties while supervising a detainee who has been convicted as a felon; and

(K) Any person employed by the state department of corrections on a full-time basis as a correctional officer to care for, supervise and control persons under the custody of the department, when the person is engaged in the performance of his duties;

(M) Any peace officer certified by another state who has been appointed as a special deputy sheriff of a Wyoming county pursuant to W.S. 18-3-602(c).
    </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

It sounds like the guy was bored and used you for a source of entertainment. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

P.S. Was it dark outside, and did you have a light to illuminate your license plate?

9. MOABDADC22

Ok, It took a few minutes to find........but here is California Peace Officer defined. I put a link here because it is too long to paste in the forum.

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

DO cops handle each situation on a day to day, stop to stop frequency? I was pulled over not long ago by a city cop bcos I had a little overspray from a hack bumper paint job on my plate and read me the riot act. He was a real prick too. Didn't give me a ticket but just reamed me out. A while back I went camping with the family and had a bumper rack packed full to the brim and the plate wasn't even visible. (Never even crossed my mind) State trooper pulls behind me, follows me for a 10 miles. Another state trooper pulls in behind me and sure enuff I get pulled over. They walk up, "can you step out please"? I step out, walk behind the blazer and he asks me what's wrong with this picture? I said "Oh Sh*t"! He laffed and asked me if I could move the stuff so my plate is visible, said have a safe trip and they split. There needs to be a standard, These guys are professionals and they act like schoolyard bullies.

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Ducttape, you got off easy... My one and only run in with a Ranger went like this,

Been going out to a small part of the local desert my whole adult life. Happened to be out there in the area to install a copier for a local airport and afterwards decided to cruise through a nice little place called Painted Desert. Looks a lot like a little grand canyon. I had two friends with me to help carry the copier into the airport and wanted to show them this place. So we'er up this little canyon when a federal ranger truck pulls in. He was driving a Donko... He gets out and orders are hands up. Then he's trying to pull out his gun and was acting just like Barney Fife and I swear to God I thought he was going to shoot his foot off trying to get the gun out of the holster. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

So then he procedes to search my van. Finding nothing he starts to read me the riot act about how I had a vehicle on federal property where it was illegal to drive. I told him I'd been coming out here for over 20 years and never heard of it. He said "Didn't you see the signs I put up all over the place?" I said no and with that he wrote me a hundred dollar ticket and I asked him to show me the signs on the way out.

So on the way out he pointed to the right from his Donko and just kept on going. I stopped and looked all over the place and didn't see anything. Finally one of my friends found the small 4" wide 3 foot tall sign hidden in a bush next to the entrance. So I had him stand 3 feet away from the bush and sign and took a pic.

I went to court and told the judge to try to find the sign in the pic. After looking at it for a few seconds he asked where it was and I pointed it out to him. Told him the whole story about Barney Fife and brought up "Entrapment" and he agreed with me and let me off and told me he was going to have a long talk with that ranger.

On my next trip out to the airport I stopped by that same place and low and behold, there were huge signs all over the place and big boulders in front of the entrance and no rangers in sight.

Cops are human and some are pricks. When they are, you have to stand up for your rights. Of course at the time of a confrontation you have to remember that they have the gun and you have to take their sh!t for the time being. Always get their name and take some action afterwards if you feel they were in the wrong or abusing their authority.

Turns out that a lot of the "PUBLIC" land out here in California is being fenced off so that WE the public can no longer use it in the name of preservation. I don't know what they are preserving the desert for but you all know what kind of sh!t the government is feeding us now. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yep, that's the classification for peace officers here in CA. Also, here in CA, the park rangers are considered peace officers.

13. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I'll go one further with you on Officers... Did you know in the State of Colorado that the only person that can arrest or cite a Sherriff in his own County is the County Coroner.??? Not even a State Trooper has the authority to arrest a Sherriff, but he can arrest a Coroner....HMMMMMMMM /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As far as you getting pulled over by the Ranger during the holiday season They can and will use any probable cause means to pull someone over to assure they are not a potential DUI customer......... That is not a bad thing really. If you are in compliance you have nothing to worry about. In your post you failed to mention what your attitude was like.... I know when I have to deal with an individual their attitude is a barrometer as to how the rest of the occurance is going to go..... As far as you know a vehicle matching the description of the one you have may have just been involved in a crime. That being the case MOST people don't understand why it was them that got pulled over, but if the crime occured against them they would want road blocks set up everywhere and every individual pulled out of their vehicle and strip searched.

John

14. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

I don’t think that any prudent person, law enforcement or not, will defend or attempt to justify the actions of someone they don’t know, at an event at which they were not present, before hearing from “all” directly involved parties.

There are, most certainly, people working in law enforcement whose demeanor and actions support the “cops are d!ckheads” stereotype. These “under-achievers” are the minority of a very large and diverse group. The vast majority of Officers/Deputies do business in a professional manner and are courteous &amp; respectful when the contact allows them to be. Unfortunately, it is the actions of the few which reflect poorly on the entire group and fuel the stereotype.

<font color="blue"> {</font color>Professional, Courteous &amp; Respectful does not mean B.S.ing like a couple fishin’ buddies either<font color="blue">} </font color>

How frequently is the “I’m a badass walk/strut” a misinterpretation of someone who has been seated in a cruiser for a couple hours, has several pounds of bulky equipment around their waist and is wearing body armor w/shockplate?

For those in Calif. maybe wonderin' if their vehicle is in compliance: /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5201 CVC - Plate Attachment
    24601 CVC - Plate Illumination
    24600(e) CVC - Tail Lights
    28071 CVC - Bumpers
    Vehicle Ride Height - Scroll down to 24008.5 (b) CVC

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

For those in Calif. maybe wonderin' if their vehicle is in compliance:

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget the two other plate codes, 5200 CVC (I believe, I never write for it, well except this one time and I won't go into details /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) and my favorite, 5204(A), registration tabs. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. ducttape114

502, the thing you said about the strut is a good point, i had not thought of that, however this was definetly the "im a badass" strut. i will post a pic, but i have never done it before and i dont have a scanner. so it may take me a day or two.

17. ducttape114

ok i found a pic in ntaj**ps webshots acount.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/48601079/48776134DspZSC

the only thing that was different is i have a new registion sticker and the tail gate was on. the tail gate dosnt effect the visability at all. it was well before sunset and his argument wasnt that i didnt have a light, it was that it wasnt visable, so dont tell me about that. any other comments let me know. or if anyone has any ideas on how i could make it MORE visable let me know

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

That plate looks like 40 miles of California highway. That tag is pretty beat to crap and I can barely make it out from the pic and judging by the distance and angle, one should be able to clearly make out your plate. So yeah, I can see why you got pulled over. And of course whoever said it was PC to stop to check for DUI, probably what happened to ya.

As for making the plate better, my wife has those old blue and yellow tags on her car, and they are pretty faded. Not too long ago, I took some Meguiar's Paint Cleaner and Polish to them and they cleaned up pretty good, you might want to do that.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree, that plate looks like [censored]. I'm not surprised you got pulled over either.

20. MOABDADC22

Did you know in the State of Colorado that the only person that can arrest or cite a Sherriff in his own County is the County Coroner.???

[/ QUOTE ] That is the same in Wyoming. Do you know why???? Answer below

Because the Sheriff is the highest ranking ELECTED official in the county. The second highest ranking is the Coroner. Only the Coroner can arrest the Sheriff. The reason that I know this is because our current(at least for the next 7 days) Sheriff told the County Judge that he WILL NOT house juveniles in our jail. The Judge actually called the Coroner to have the Sheriff arrested, but the Coroner was not available. By the time the Coroner returned the call to the judge, the judge had calmed down and did not want the Sheriff arrested. (This was actually a One-Liner joke from Jay Leno during his opening monologue. See Carl, Cheyenne is famous) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif