Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I destroyed this truck!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 20, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I feel really bad. I took the truck I recently bought from a friend, the tallest truck I've ever had, and dismantled it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My before and after pictures look backwards.

I took the lift, wheels, tires and accessories all off the truck. I swapped out the 4.10 running gear and put 3.73's under it and kept the 205 T-case and put a 203 back in.

It's still a nice truck, and I gave it to a guy whom I owed a truck to from a previous trade (he's handicapped and needed a 4x4 for where he lives).

Plus, I got to keep all the stuff that I want to stick under my Crew cab...but still, I feel ashamed for taking it apart. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My "Un-building" of the Big Truck

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

why? it was yers and you could do nething with ya want with it. yeah it was a nice truck but it still is. ya got the goodies off of it and used em. what did you do with all the stuff ya took off? later.

jacob

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dude, dont be ashamed, like beerguy said, it's your truck, do whatever the heck you want with it! So many folks think these are collector items and shouldn't ever be touched. I think that's just plain silly, but each to their own. Btw, it looks good both ways! Now how bout some pics of what all the parts got swapped to?

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I have to admire you for what you did to complete your deal with a friend in need. Did you feel like you had gone backwards through a time machine? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I wish that when I destroyed things they turned out so very nice! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

NO no no, you did not destroy, you RECYCLED /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifIt is a good thing, as long as you plan on using the "good" stuff for what it was intended. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think it looks better after...before was cool, except for that bumper that must weigh 1000#...does it whave a lift on it at all in the last picture?

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Is that really the same truck?
    I dont see the 2tone part on the after and its got a diffent grill and dosent have the visor on the after but it now also has sidemarker light and it looked like it had cut out fenderflairs and those fenders arnt cut on the after. But if you really did this its nice you helped out a freind

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But if you really did this

[/ QUOTE ]

Um.. look at his post.. ion the link that says unbuilding the truck.. shows pictures of UNBUILDING the truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

man.. what a great excuse to go to spokane for a weekend.. your supposed to post this in advance so we can have fun on it too.....

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea I fully understand the post but I have never heard of welding the fenders backin I can understand the visor but what about the paint and the sidemarkers do you think he put them back in and why would he change the grill??? thats why I ask.

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

hey look on the bright side the power breaking in that thing was awsome! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Since the bed and front fenders were cut out for the flares, I kept them for a truck I'm building. I swapped out the bed with the one off my truck, and sprayed it white real quick. I had a complete front clip that wasnt cut up (although it was yellow), so I put that on and sprayed it white. It actually is the same grille, though. Just a semi-rusty tube grille that was in it when I got it...just swapped it onto the other clip. I painted the lower parts of the doors, covering the maroon color.

The day I was supposed to deliver it, I woke up to it in my driveway with no bed, no front clip, and no T-case. (I was a bit behind on my expected completion time). A friend and I got the 203 T-case put in and set the front clip on. I painted the front clip (rattlecan white), put the rear driveline on, bled the brakes (easier with the bed off), then after dark, got enough people to put the other bed on, and I sprayed the last bedside white with spray cans at about 8:00 p.m. It was a rushed job I felt, but it drove up the 85 miles to where the guy lives without problems. Of course we got there at midnight, but I brought it down to his house the next morning.

I left the 3" body lift on it, and it has 33" tires now, instead of the 44" Gumbo Mudders.

The accessories I kept off it were the flares, visor, dash mat, mud flaps, and I swapped the steering wheel for a stock one.

The paint job looks much worse in person, but at least it's all one color. I also took that huge front bumper off, cause it probably would have touched ground. I gave him a winch bumper earlier this year, so he will have that installed soon.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Those tires were Gumbo mudders? They look like the Firestone feild and turf 46"tires. haha, I guess its true the camara does add some weight.LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good job though, I would much rather you recycle them than cut em up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif