Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i did a photo shoot last nite.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Apr 30, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

there's a band here in portland called "change it to jack". their drummer graduated from
    concordia university yesterday and is going on a month-long trip to europe. well, right
    after he bought his plane ticket they got invited to play this show on may 19 which is
    being hosted by a bunch of music label representatives to see if they want to sign any of
    these 10 bands that will be playing that nite at the Satyricon in downton portland. well,
    they heard me drum at church and asked if i'd fill in - so on the 19th i'll be playing to
    about 400 people! [​IMG] should be a good time.

so i started looking at what they've got as far as a media kit goes, and they only had
    some REALLY crappy photos their buddy took. he shot the pics at nite and didn't have a
    tri pod - so every single shot was blurry. so last nite we went out to the industrial
    part of NW portland on some abandoned street basically at the place where I405 crosses
    front avenue, and set up their equipment at about 10:45 pm and shot photos till 12:45 or
    so. their drummer couldn't come to that b/c his graduation was that day, so we got one of
    their friends to be his dummy and i just tried to make sure there was always a shadow
    over his face.

anyway, here's 13 shots i took last nite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Silly emo kids:D

3. colbystephens

:D emo's probably not the right word to describe these guys. the music is ok, as far as i'm concerned. they could use a good producer. it'll be a fun show, but it's not a band i'm interested in being a part of full time. i'd like to make some connections so i can possibly do some recording again sometime.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How many songs did they play before the bass and guitar players slit their throats?:rolleyes:

5. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice. One of the best uses for K5 backlighting I have seen in a while.:D

6. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Keys bring the ghey.

7. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Cool pics, good job on getting the K5 into the act also.:D

8. colbystephens

wow, some of you guys are acting like real douche bags. i don't give a sh*t if you like their music or if you approve of what they look like, but the fact is that you don't know them, and they're pretty cool guys.

the fact is that there's nothing emo about these guys - they don't dress it or act it. if it's the long hair that makes you think it - then kurt cobaine must have been emo along with all the other grunge bands.

i guess i should be understanding tho - you're just a bunch of low-life hillbillies with trucks, you wouldn't understand that there's more to life than clothing styles. right? or is that just the appearance you want to portray? :yikes:

kgillyk5 - i think piano can kick ass - but i sure as hell won't be lugging one around to different cities every weekend.

texasblazerboy - yeah, it'll probably be my blazer's only attempt at a claim to fame. :D wish i woulda closed the drivers door.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Change it to Jill.... Mellow out Colby.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

DUDE! Great photos :waytogo:

Doesnt matter what the band is, or the what the people look like.
    Great layout/cropping. Color is really good. I like the first three photos a lot. Esp the Epi in color. The shadows on the garage door was a great idea.

11. colbystephens

yes daddy... :rolleyes:

i probably won't ever relax about unfair judgement.

i do think their name is hard to say and remember tho - not a name i would've picked. i always want to say "change it to jake" - maybe because i want to pronounce the "a" in both words the same way?

thanks man. i screwed with the color quite a bit - the garage door wasn't that color either. :) perhaps i shouldn't be sharing my secrets. :D the door was the color of the wall in the phoot where the whole band is playing in front of the dumpster. we shot about 250 photos, got about 40 workable ones. it was a bit difficult b/c of the low lighting, so i had to leave the shutter open for quite a while so they had to hold REAL still. i've got a handful of other photos i'm going to mess with, but i got sick of doing it yesterday. :)

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Just an idea, you have a Canon right?

For about $60 you can get a Canon 50mm (fixed) F1.8 lens, for my band photos I shoot ISO800, manually set it to 1/60sec (this allows good stop action when they are playing, slower songs you can drop to 1/50sec for more light) and the camera steps the F-stop usually for the full 1.8. 90% of my photos I don't touch up other than crop them (because of the fixed focal length on that 50mm lens, its FAST though in dark situations though).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8454&A=details&Q=&sku=12142&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    looks like the price went up some, hit the local camera stores and check around for them, I got mine for $59 and change, also picked up a haze/protective filter (about $12) since I'm in bars a lot doing photos.

13. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Uhhmm. I'm actually a musician as well. As with alot of things around here the "keys" reference is kind of an inside joke that I have incommon with a few of my workmates who were also musicians around the 80's. No personal attack inteneded.

I have some pics of myself from way back that alot here would think bring the ghey...from big hair to mullets and some seriously bad taste in clothing/fashion...:haha:

But yes I am also a douch bag.:D

14. colbystephens

i wasn't referencing you. :) lets see the mullets. :D not sure if i've seen yours yet.

15. colbystephens

wow! that's a good price! i was thinking i'd have to save up another 400 bux before i got another lense. i'll have to check that one out. i'd really like to get a UV filter.

16. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

:wink1: :bow: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :bow:

17. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Need to find a scanner. I tried to take pics of old pics one day to post up and bust my own ass for all you hillbillys...but they looked like ass.

The mullet would probably be the last pic in a chronology of hair do's starting back in the mid 70's.

It goes,...

5th grade: Start growing hair out (dutch boy)

7th grade: Hair grown out to middle of back and brushed out straight like Geezer Butler

9th grade: Cut bangs to look like Rudy Sarzo (cuz some hot beautician said it would look awesome:D)

11th grade: Blonde Foil one huge strand of hair on left side of head like Joe Perry (again because some girl thought it would be fun to do to me...)

Graduate HS...move to LA and eat potatoes while pursuing what's sure to be my destiny...rock super hero. (Ya,...right:rolleyes:)

Go broke, move home.

@19: Big hair is involved here with lots of aquanet and other flammable products...high lights everywhere...(One hot beautician even pulled to much hair through the cap one time and I was fried completely platinum blonde...:doah:)

Still 19: Married above said blonde beautician...

19 and 3 months: Load my blazer (Not kidding,...I had an 80' blazer at the x)...and leave first wife to go back to LA.

20: Never cut my hair for the next few years to spite the ex...(or maybe I didn't trust my self around beauticians:haha::haha::haha:)

23: Curt Cobain and the entire state of Washington ruined the hair band scene in LA...

24: Moved home, played in local bar band and started college...didn't have the nerve to cut all my hair off so this is where the mullet actually got it's start. (I think this is where the mullet came from...alot of guys just started cutting the front to ease into the whole short hair thing.:o)

25: Cut all my damn hair off.:D

18. colbystephens

fixed it for ya! :wink1:

19. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

:whistle:

I think I was 5... :haha:

20. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Nope...I'll be 40 in November and still have a good nest on top.

I told you these were crappy pics of old pics...you asked for it. Just dont let Craig "No0b" Artz see these.:D

Woops, flash was on:
    [​IMG]

Here this should be better:
    [​IMG]

Ok now,...here's the mullet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: