Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I did a search and read all, But still questions "Lockers"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GRINCH, May 6, 2002.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I did a search and read all, But still questions \"Lockers\"

I read for hours but still don't know what will be the best.
    I have a 90K5 (see Profile) and need more traction.

I use it as a daily driver and weekend play. I am concerned about locking up either the back or front. It does have a limited slip in the rear (which doesn't seem to work well) and a open front. I have considered putting a new limited slip in the rear and an ARB up front. I do travel on snow and ice alot and don't want to deal with the rear end coming around all of the time.

Bottom line is I'm confused on what will be best for me. ARB are so expensive and I want to use 4wd with and with out being locked up front cause of the drivabilty issue.

Help me decide!!!!

Thanks

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Re: I did a search and read all, But still questions \"Lockers\"

Have you considered an Auburn posi unit? I put one in my '90 after the gov lock blew up the second time (first was under warranty) and it's a big improvement while still retaining drivablilty. Just my two cents...

www.auburngear.com

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If you plan on doing some real offroading, and yet still must drive on the street, and in ice and snow, the ARB is the best way to go! I have had two now, and I will never put any other traction aid in the front axle! Rear axle would also be nice, but they don't make one for the 14bff (yet). To me, it is worth the extra cost - being able to choose when you want it on and off is an awesome feature! Like you said, you drive a lot in snow and ice, so you could simply switch it off when you don't want it on! I don't drive on "freeway style" roads in the snow, but do drive on two lane style roads in the snow, and I have tried the ARB in those conditions without real negative effects...it pretty much drove wherever I pointed it, even on freshly plowed roads. And in the deep stuff, it is just awesome! With the rear Detroit and the front ARB locked, the truck just claws through it!

For my money, the ARB is the best one out there! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif There will be lots of opinions on this, but that is mine!

4. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Eaton is supposed to be releasing an electronic locker very soon. Don’t know price, and it is a new product so not sure of durability. If you want one now I think ARB even at the cost is the way to go for off road and ice and snow street conditions.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When I swap my axles, I want a Detroit for the rear

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

My suggestion would be to go with a detroit in the rear, and the front if you can swing it. Try to find someone who lives near you that has a detroit. Go for a ride. It ain't that bad. I've had one for four years, (all but the last six months it has been a daily driver) and I haven't had a single problem out of it yet. Seriously, it takes all of about 30 minutes of driving to get used to it. Only thing you may have to do is pay attention to tire pressure in the rear, but you should do that anyway for good tire wear. Even in the snow, if it's in 4wd, the rear won't get out of control, unless you get really stupid with the skinny pedal.

As for the front, I've had a detroit in the front of the D60 for about 9 months, and I love it. It makes a HUGE difference having a locker in the front. I plan on running hydro assist, or full hydro to solve the difficult steering issue. But even with the wheel being hard to turn now, it is still worth it to have a locker in the front.

ARB's are great, but I wanted a bomb-proof, inexpensive, no hassle setup. No wires, or air lines, just plain-ol lockers.

Just my .02
    BIGJ

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

doesnt Ox have a locker that is cable actuated.

8. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Thats my second choice. So far. Do you drive on snow or ice much, Mine always seems to come around on me. Must be the lift.

9. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Keith, I'm staying with my 10 Bolts for now. But $1300 to do both is killer, plus a pump!!!

You don't have any problems being locked in the rear on Ice and Snow, I have heard many horror stories of locker on slick roads.

What kind of price can you get them for?

Dennis

10. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

BIGJ,

How much Ice and Snow do you get in Arkansas? I was just on ice and snow yesterday. Over 2 feet of it to be exact.

We had a blast (except pulling me out a few times)

I'm also looking to make it bomb proof but still need to drive it daily for now. Soon to be my trail rig only..

11. BIGJ

We get lots of ice, but not as much snow as Montana /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Last year we had an ice storm that knocked power out for three weeks, and I was driving all over town. Like I said, it takes a little getting used to, but it's not uncontrolable. Why not ask some of the Colorado guys what they use, they get lots of snow.

If it's going to eventually be a trail only rig, then I would definitely go with a detroit in the rear. It would be worth it in the long run.

Again, just my .02
    BIGJ

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would go for durability befor traction. I would put a 14sf in the rear (with whatever traction device you choose) and leave the front. I just can't see forking over $$$ for a 10b rear...even if you don't take it off road much.

13. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I would like to go with a 14sf, But i don't have the money for that big of a project right now also this needs to be my daily driver for another year or so yet, but i still need to keep up with the other club members and quit getting pulled out slowing them down.

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A 14sf and detroit would be alot less than that $1300 for the ARB's front and rear. If you go with the 14sf you can get 6lug and don't have to buy new wheels or tires. You also save that big tow bill when you loose one of the 10b shafts. You might even be able to find a 14sf with a gov-lock which would work good in the snow and ice but would lock up for the hard stuff (and not blow up like the 10b gov-lock's). If I was building up a daily driver that is what I would do.

15. BIGJ

Yeah, a 14sf would be the way to go, if you can find one. Much cheaper than dumping money into the 10 bolt. Or, if you can find a 14 ff for cheap, and convert the 10 bolt to an 8 lugger, that could save you some money too. Round up some 15 inch wheels to fit the eight lug stuff and you're set. You've got several options, other than just upgrading the factory stuff.

I did exactly what you are thinking about doing, just with a 12 bolt. Spent about $1000 rebuilding it, (locker, heavy duty shafts, new gears, etc...) only to sell it a year later to go to a 14 FF. Wish I would have saved the money now and just bought the 14FF first....

BIGJ

16. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input you and BIGJ are right. I have given it some thought and will start hitting the scrap heaps looking for a 14 bolt sf. Need to first learn how to identify a 14sf and what a gov lock looks like. Time to do some more searching of CK5.

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

18. BIGJ

Alright! Gotta love the junkyards /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . Never know what you might find......

BIGJ

19. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I am really happy with my Lock Rights. I have found them to be dependable, durable and extremely streetable. They are cheap, and they NEVER FAIL TO LOCK

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 14 SF with a Gov-Loc and while it works okay, I'd rather have a detroit. If you can swing a detroit, get one.