Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I discovered my blazer sits crooked!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by english_bloke, Oct 30, 2001.

1. english_bloke

english_bloke Registered Member

Whilst I was walking from the grocery store to my blazer, I discovered the right side sits lower than the left side. I thought possibly it was just the rear so I walked around and looked on from the front and it indeed is also sitting lower on the passenger side. So, last night I looked all over it and found a bend in the frame! The frame is made of metal shaped in a 'C' as you know, and the bottom lip (as I shall call it) is bent down in one spot. Would that be of concern to me? Or would the suspension cause it to sag on one side? Shall I fix that small bend?

Cheers,

The English Bloke

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Where is this "bend" in the frame? I have seen frames fresh off of the showroom floor that have areas of the lower frame rail bent downward. More than likely your lean is caused by bad body mounts, or possibly the springs have sagged more on that side than the other. Just a thought.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

You can also check for broken leaves. Before I changed my springs, my truck sat lower on the drivers side and it turned out to be a broken leaf. May not help you, but it's worth a shot.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is not an uncommon problem. It may be unrelated to the frame issue you spotted. For some reason Blazer don't seem to settle evenly with time. Check all four springs and the body mounts. It's also possible that the truck has been in an accident and is no longer quite true. You could have a friend drive along behind you and see if it dog-tracks.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

5. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

See if the body is lined up with the bumpers. If it is not lined up with the bumper its prolly your mounts.

350FI/700r4/NP208c/10b's ORD 4" Shackle Flip/ORD Disconnects

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Some ideas to check:

Rubber body mounts. Swap for polyurethane mounts.

Broken or sagging leaf springs. Repair or replace.

Low tire pressures. Check and fill up to match others.

Spring bushings could be shot. Install new bushings, preferrably polyurethane.

I have not seen a 'bent' frame cause a truck to sit uneven except for a very badly bent one. Those with a slight bend should not affect the stance of the vehicle.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>