Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i dont get it.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 68MUDSTUD, Sep 12, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok im workin on my 71 k5, and when i first got it, about 2 months ago, i put a new battery in it, and put a new alternator in it, and about a week ago, i hop in it, try to start it, and nothing... :mad: ... so i put it on the charger, get it charged up, drive into town, cruised around, then brought her home.

well, yesterday, i hop in it, try to start it, and nothing, so i charge it up, get er started, and cruised up and down the road a bit, get it home, shut it off. then about a half hour later, mtchevy got here, and i wanted to go into town, and it wouldnt start,

so i think maybe my voltage regulator (yes, it is externally regulated) is shot. so i swap it out for a new one, and charge the battery up, and drive it around for a while, (by this time, its dark) and i notice my lights getting dimmer and dimmer. so i haul ass back to my house before it quits, and that was telling me it was alternator, so i swapped out that one, put a new one on it.

i get out there this morning after charging it, and still... NOTHING :mad: :mad: :mad: ... could it be the battery? If it is, why didnt it last long?

ps. now my factory tach is twitching so bad you cant tell what rpm its trying to read, until you get it to 1100 rpm. wtf??????????:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Check your body to ground strap, if you have a volt meter check the output. Best I can help you with beside a auto parts store should be able to test the alternator to see if it is good. I know not much help but sometimes we forget the simple things. Good luck

3. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

Make sure all your grounds are tight and have a good connection.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

5. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

sweet! Thanks paul! btw, i went to billings today with mtchevy, and got a new battery for her... i think my brand new friggin alternator is shot though... friggin reman carquest sh!t!!!:mad:

6. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

my pop's went through four, yes four reman's in his ferd van. then he went new and it worked.

7. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

oh, and he switched mechanics. but that is because he guy was a douche bag....

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Autozone, checker, advanced auto, all their electrical rebuilds are junk. I have been through so many starters and alternators from them I decided my labor was worth more than I was saving.
    If you can find out where your local garage gets their parts from, they will usually sell to the public, and get this, I have bought parts from mine here that cost HALF of what autozone wanted!
    It's worth a look.