Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i don't have a high idle on my 6.2...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Mar 27, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

what's up with that? how do i get a high idle. i'd like to have a high idle on start up.

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

i disconected mine, cuz it would rev way to high. it was start out fine but after like 2 mins it would go to redline.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There should be a solenoid on the Inj pmp. When energized due to coolant temp - it has a plunger that hits the throttle plate. It should have one wire going to it.

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Which sensor does it use, where is it at on the engine?
    George
    to lazy to go out and look

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

agreed. i'd like to know what all the different electrical connections do - i only ahve one hooked up and it runs like a champ (the pink IP wire isthe only one hooked up)

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pretty sure the temp inhibit switch is on the drivers side head, right next to the vacuum pump. Once the switch sees 120F or so the cold advance should kick off.

Rene

7. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

Depends on the year I think. My 82's switch is in the very back of the passenger head, and its a PITA to get to. I couldn't even find one so I took the power wire running to the switch, ran it back to the cab through a toggle, then back to the other prong on the plug to feed power to the solenoid. NOTE: the power will feed the solenoid for increased idle AND injection advance. (Should be the other green wire). The coolant temp sensor is supposed to shut off around 85 deg F, running that much additional advance with a fully warmed up engine is probably not a good idea. However, if you disconnect the green wire going to the injection pump and just leave the one on the solenoid, you have a handy high idle on command. If your injection advance is working you'll notice a definate change in the rattle when it is engaged.

8. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

You can also adjust the high idle solenoid by using a wrench on the hex end and turning it. Not sure which way is which though....