Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I don't know anything about stereos, are these any good?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Jonathan, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I don\'t know anything about stereos, are these any good?

I'm gonna get a new stereo in my 96 GMC, so I went out lookin today and here's what I found:

Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 MP3/CD reciever $360 + tax installed including parts and labor.
    or
    Rockford Fosgate RFX-9000 $320 installed including parts and labor

The guy at the place with the Kenwood told me the rockford Fosgate was sh!t and that the place selling it was sh!t too, maybe he's just talking sh!t to get business, I don't know. Which one sounds like a better deal? Thanks for any help.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: I don\'t know anything about stereos, are these any good?

I personally would go with the Kenwood befor Rockford Fosgate. I think anything with the Rockford Fosgate (RF) name on it is way over priced. I belive you're paying more for the name then anything else. I only know 2 people that have had the RF headunits, and both of them were unhappy with the units. Both ended up getting something different with in 6 months. That is personal observation, and I am NOT a fan of RF, so I might be bias.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

So the Kenwood sounds good? Are Kenwoods good quality stereos?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Kenwood used to be one of the best in car stereo's. I can't speak for thier new stuff becouse I haven't had one lately. I would recomened contacting Bozowise sence he deals in new car stereo equipment. I'm sure he could help you out better then I could.

5. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

that is way to spendy for the kenwood headunit i have the kdc-mp919 mp3 player and i payed $360 and $30 to have it installed shop around you'll get a better price contact luxury auto sound or www.caraudiocrazy.com they have a shop in loveland colorado and they are the cheapest and best out there /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have a question or two. The guy that has the Kenwood was telling me somehting about how Kenwood has a "good" line and a "bad" line of stereos. He told me that their good line has 4-digit numbers in the model number and the bad line has 3-digit numbers in the model number. The example he gave me was the KDC-MPV7019 vs. the KDC-MPV619, he said they both have basically the same features, just the 7019 has better quality parts, a 2-year waranty, and a price tag of $20 more. So is this right or is he feeding me a bunch of sh!t?

7. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Alpine is all I have ever had in my truck, I just recently got the 7894. The new MP3 player with the flip down face. Very cool and because the cd slot is behind the faceplate it allows for the face plate to cover more area makign it much better to read. It has the V series amp in it 60x4 (27Watts RMS) front/rear/sub preamp outs all 4v. It lists for $399 but I got mine new from ebay for $294 shipped and installed it myself in place of an older alpine (same sleeve), just had to recut and crimp the wiring harness back to the factory stuff. Its very cool, check it out. No problems so far with MP3's or cd-rs. My last player would not play cd-r's so I jumped up to the MP3 player when upgrading. The MX mode is very cool also, Media Expansion - whole new sound. You can choose Green or Amber lighting and the LCD is Blue and White. Good luck. Jeremiah

my specs--- ALPINE CDA-7894 CD/MP3 w/ REMOTE (295 ebay), Memphis Power Reference 3.5 dash speakers with caps (35 ebay), memphis 400 watt (200watt rms) signiture series amp (200 ebay), two MTX Black Gold 10" subs (100/pr ebay), MTX 3000 series component set 6.5" and 1" tweeter (65 ebay) (all prices shipped and all items new in box).

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Forget the fosgate, in my experience, they suck!!
    I have a kenwood in my car and have been pleased with it. In my Blazer, I did not want to shell out that kind of cash, so a friend of mine who owns eeast coast car stereostold me to buy a cheap Panasonic(DF44) with flip down removable face, 40 w p/channel etc... Its twice the stereo that the kenwood is, at 1/2 the price...something to think about.Suprised me!!

10. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

thats a bunch of bull [censored] you can say your panasonic is better but when it comes down to it you just dont feel like speding the cash to get the goods yeah sure you can say your stereo sounds good with panasonic, legacy, pile, etc but we all no the truth your to cheap to buy quality product /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Panasonic has came up in quality alot. Yes, Panasonic used to be crapola, but I have to admitt they're alot better then they used to be. Also, alot of the so called good name brands have gone down in quality. Sony used to be good, but have gone to sh!t. Kenwood isn't what it used to be either. Pioneer ?? Well, if you wanta spend the money for thier top of the line stuff, but thier lower priced units are ... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yes there are 2 lines of Kenwood (actually 3 if you count Excelon) just like there are 2 lines of Pioneer (actually 3 if you count premier) Anyways go look at a Walmart and you'll see that the model numbers are one off of the ones at your local car audio shop. That is because walmarts are made in Japan with Japan made parts. The car audio shops are made in Japan with USA parts (higher quality more price)

Z3 is right on the money and I agree with all of that. Still like Clarion though over all the crap we sell.

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Hey Rebel when you actually learn a bit about stereos you should come back to the board. People like you should learn to set back and listen, because when you open your mouth it makes you look even more stupid. That comment was uncalled for and has no relavance to anything on this post. And I'd bet money that I sell Panasonic's that are worth more then any headunit you have ever owned. So go ahead and make another smart-ass reply and prove my point that you are just talking for the sake of talking. I hate it when people hesitate to ask and respond because of people like you degrading them.

There are very few companies that will stand by their product like Panasonic does and I sell almost every headunit on the market. I do prefer the Clarion over the Panasonic (pana has poor output voltage on thier rcas) but they are both good products.

14. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I used to have a kenwood excilon 709 ( basicly 7 series ) that sounded really good, the built in filters worked really good the the preouts were clean, actually I liked it more then the alpine I have now, Dont know about there new stuff though but if satillite radio is something your considering then id lean towards xm over sirrus, car audio did a review of the 2 not to long ago and in there expereice said that the compression method used by sirrus was not as good as xm's. kinda like CD verses mp3. my friends have the new pioneers ( premier 740 ) and while im not terrible fond of pioneer the do sound pretty good and are loaded with features for the money there about 270 here mmxpress