Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I don't know how to feel... so many ups and downs the last 4 days

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 5, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I don\'t know how to feel... so many ups and downs the last 4 days

Went up to start cleaning up the property and get ready for the races. The "work crew" was small as usual.

Had some fun (turning work into fun) by racing around the field dragging scrap truck cabs.

Went to winch out a Taurus that someone drove off a bank, which just before being back on the road, came unhooked and flew back down the hill 80 feet into a tree.

Got the cabs cut up, vehicles arranged (some of them), and the scrap metal loaded on the trailer.

Got my Suburban stuck up the road in a mud hole, where it had to stay overnight until we came back the next morning with 3 winches to pull it out.

Winched the Taurus out using two winches and a snatchblock.

Motor started knocking in my Crew Cab, just after putting $75 in gas in it.

Got pulled over in my Suburban towing the trailer with scrap on the way home and got a $101 ticket (which could have been up to $900.)

Now, I have to go to work, and then go tonight and "fix" all the violations on my trailer/load before I can go tow it back home from the weigh station I had to leave it at.

2. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Re: I don\'t know how to feel... so many ups and downs the last 4 days

That means you should have goodluck for a year. Life is weird, that is for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I missed the "down" part of the "ups and downs".... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. mountainexplorer

The downs were the motor starting to knock in the crew cab, and the $101 ticket.

We also accidentally caught a truck on fire, which people noticed just before bed that there were 10 foot flames out in the field. Got up to 15-20 foot flames from it, and we had to call out the "Allantown Volunteer Fire Dept" to put it out. (which was me and two others in my 2wd truck going back and forth to the pond with 1 gallon jugs).

Luckily, it was just a parts truck, so no big loss. That was actually another up I guess.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hell, that's a good day in my book! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

did you ever find out if you had the tinted windows for my burb? just curious /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What was the ticket for, taillights?

8. mountainexplorer

I have tinted glass for the side windows and back passenger side doors. Didn't get to pull any though. As always, just had too many things on my mind and too many things to do all at once.

But I did think about ya every time I walked by that Suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. mountainexplorer

I got a warning for the following:

1) No front right turn lamp (bulb must have been out on the Suburban)

2) No fire extinguisher (I weighed in at a total of over 14,000 lbs and anything over 10,000 lbs is considered commercial and requires a fire extinguisher)

3) Emergency warning devices not as required (I don't make a beep-beep-beep sound when I back up, but since I classified as "commercial", I should).

4) Inoperable lamp other than head/tail

5) No clearance lamps

6) Failed to display valid tonnage (Even though I made my Suburban a true 1-ton and it could haul half again that much more weight, since the title doesn't say I have enough tonnage, my Suburban is not capable of handling the load that I can)

7) Failed to display valid trailer registration (It's either in the crew cab or I lost it when I loaned the trailer out a few times)

And here's what I got ticketed for:

1) Improper load securement (even though not a piece of metal shifted or moved, my securement methods did not uphold to commercial standards)

2) Inoperative brakes (trailer)

3) Defective turn/hazard lamp (they worked, just the scrap metal load made it hard to see)

4) Stop lamp violations (they also worked, just vision was impaired).

I'll admit to my mistakes... I've been putting off my finishing touches on the trailer for too long, so this will make me do it.

Had I been driving the crew cab, some of these wouldn't have been an issue (tonnage). So now I have to go have the Suburban inspected and buy the tonnage for it. I think in a way it's funny. Just because something physically in reality is capable of handling something, doesn't mean it is. Even if I can handle that load, the little numbers written on my title say that I can't. That also means I'll have to pay like $70-$80 per year on tabs instead of $33.

Oh well, $101 beats $900.

Thanks, Kenny, for the offer to fix my lights. I shoulda listened.

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif on me.

10. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Bummer deal dude!!!!!!!!!!!Hey you don't have a privacy glass passenger side barn door glass do you? Well I get the motor delivered Friday. When are the mud races again? I might be able to make it. Atleast to watch. I'll need to add some break in miles anyway.

11. mountainexplorer

Mud Races are not this weekend but the weekend after... May 14-16.

I only have glass for the rear tailgate... no barn doors unfortunately.

Where'd ya get the motor from?

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Went to winch out a Taurus that someone drove off a bank, which just before being back on the road, came unhooked and flew back down the hill 80 feet into a tree.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And people wonder why I charge them $120 an hr. To winch their cars out /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thats tough stuff dude i know how it is when nothing seems to go your way for ever. Keep your head up i am sure it will all pass. the mud races sould kick ass you'll hqave fun, i would come hell it sould only take me hummm 3-4 days to get there from here i only wish /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh and BTW you have some kick ass trucks dude, that alone would keep me happy, well at least untill you have to fix them all...... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. scoutillac

Ram engines-865 with tax title and license out the door:delivered. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I got a discount for providing my own cam and lifters. I talked the boss into giving me friday off so I can put it in.

Why did you stop at the scales anyway? Did they flag you in?

15. mountainexplorer

Hmmm... a Ram Engine? I've kinda heard some stories... but those were in the past. I work part-time at the radiator shop right next door to Ram, at Northwest Radiator.

I got pulled over. And luckily (or un-luckily) the scales were right there where I got pulled over at.

This makes ticket number one for me. Thats one more than I was hoping to have.

16. scoutillac

I had a Ram built engine in my Blazer that ran good. They still honor the warrantee if I install the engine or have a mechanic do it. It's whatever. Money is tight so this one fits the budget. I'm going to that rad shop to get my rad rodded out. I want everything new or rebuilt when I get this thing done. It needs to last.

17. mountainexplorer

Get a new 4-core. We can sell new ones usually for less than rebuilding the old one.

I believe a brand new Modine 4-core with a lifetime warranty is about $165+ tax or in about that range.

Do you have a 4-core or 3 core in it now?

What cam did you pick out for the motor? or did I miss that post?

18. scoutillac

1000-5000RPM
    434-444 lift
    206-212 Dur @ 50
    249-260 advertised ?
    112 something
    4 degrees advanced

I don't know what core I have. It is stock with a tranny cooler built in. Those guys told me 80-90 bucks to rod it out. I am looking for least money. I would love a bigger new radiator, but can't afford it right now. The story of my life. That's why the scout is taking 4 years and counting.