Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i don't know the name of this piece, but i need the size of it...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Oct 1, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

how do you refer to a piece of threaded metal which isn't a bolt? anyway, i need to replace the threaded pieces which you screw the wing nuts onto to hold the air cleaner box down. what size are these and how do you purchase this sort of thing? will i need to get a long strip and then cut it to whatever size i want? mine are stripped and so my air cleaner box rattles around and gets to where it has the opening facing the firewall, which can't be good for power. :o

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Threaded Rod or simply a Stud, depending on how its made. A stud is usually short and of a stronger material. Threaded rod comes in long pieces you can cut to length. You can get threaded rod at any hardware store.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For an air cleaner threaded rod should be just fine, should be 1/4" x 20 tpi

Rene

4. kennyw

1/4-20 UNC to be exact ;) However it could be metric too? Most of the 6.2L uses metric bolts.

5. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i'm pretty sure the air cleaner studs are metric bottoms, and the uppers are american. I've tried screwin' around with rods and they didn't seem to work. (My upper threads were 'tarded up too)/ But i ended up using a bungie cord from the master cylinder over to the AC tubes out of the heater box for a temporarily long fix. Pins it down pretty good for the time being.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could be M6 into the intake then. The wing nuts I have on the topside are 1/4-20 though...

If 1/4-20 won't quite start in those threads it'd be M6, if it pretty much drops into the threads it may be M8. 1/4" = 6.35mm

You could run some M6 threaded rod and metric wing nuts...

Rene

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

loose nuts!..

My 6.2 loves to vibrate the air cleaner nuts off!--I lost both of the crap plastic wingnuts,and could only find metric 6mm ones in hex style,not wingnuts!..I had to slather RTV over them to keep them from loosening--I didn't use locktite,because I didn't want the stud coming out of the intake,rather than the nuts unscrewing..

I have to find a "snorkle" tube, that goes from the air cleaner housing to the radiator support--it moans like a bull moose in heat at 30-35 mph without it!..I have some sort of "turbo" mufflers the previous owner put on,and my truck is pretty throaty at low rpms..but most of the noise is from the intake!.

I think a junkyard would be the easiest place to find "new" air cleaner studs that will fit the first time,with no dicking around..:crazy:

8. kennyw

Actually, do you want a pair of stock studs? I have some extras you can have for the cost of shipping.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

An 89 S10 4.3 w/ TBI has 1/4-28, FWIW.

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

BTW, that is a bolt. The head just has a shank & threads on both sides!:D;):D