Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i dont know what my d60 came out of!!!!!and i need calipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Apr 4, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

so today i started swappin in the d60 everything bolted up perfect and i was sooooooo close to gettin done then i started workin on the brakes i went to go get new calipers and i have no clue what calipers i need from what year truck!!?! i believe its out of a chevy or dodge because the pumpkin is on the pass side. the are 2 piston calipers and LOOK kinda like a ford but i dont think the axle is out of a ford.all the chevy calipers we looked at were single piston and they didnt have any dodge ones avaiable for me to compare and none of the fords matched either. the BOM # is no where to be found even looked on the outer edge of the ring gear and found nothing. the guy told me that once i find out what the axle is out of come back. until then he cant help me.it is a low pinion D60 btw if that helps.

thanx much matt

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

2 piston calipers are Ford calipers.

Tell the parts guy you need GM calipers to fit any year between '77 to '86 K30/3500 or '87 to '91 V30/3500. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Bendix calipers mount the same whether they're on a dodge or chevy do they not?

4. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Bendix calipers mount the same whether they're on a dodge or chevy do they not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, they sure do. The only difference between the Dodge and GM D60 is the rotor thickness. All those other parts from the "C's" on outboard are the same. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Look at the spindle where the caliper brackets bolt on, if they are 5 bolt it is most definately a Ford otherwise Dodge or Chevy but AFAIK Ford is the only maker to use the twin piston caliper on a D60, it could also be a Ford D50.

6. 4X4HIGH

[ QUOTE ]
    The only difference between the Dodge and GM D60 is the rotor thickness. All those other parts from the "C's" on outboard are the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the Chevy and Dodge knuckles were different also because of Tie-rod taper and diameter. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. thatK30guy

The housing can't be a Ford because he said the pumpkin is on the passenger side. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The housing can't be a Ford because he said the pumpkin is on the passenger side. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

God only knows what outers it might have on it though.

9. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only difference between the Dodge and GM D60 is the rotor thickness. All those other parts from the "C's" on outboard are the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the Chevy and Dodge knuckles were different also because of Tie-rod taper and diameter. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought it was the height of the tie-rod arm....one was higher than the other and the other lower. But most knuckles I've seen on eBay or aftermarket parts were quoted as Dodge and GM were interchangable.

If someone has a Dodge knuckle laying around, get a part number posted up. The number is cast into the part. Get the number up and we can compare it to the GM knuckle. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. 4X4HIGH

I never said anything about the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Someone could have swapped the outers to a Ford. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Take for example that Dan (KRAZIE87K5) has a Dodge housing with all Ford outer parts on his rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Take for example that Dan (KRAZIE87K5) has a Dodge housing with all Ford outer parts on his rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I know, I was at Dan's house last Thursday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The chevy and dodge TRE's are the same taper. My dodge D60 is the same from knuckles out as my dad's GM D60.

14. ilikeitloud

im a newb so bare with me. i found some numbers stamped on the knuckle 620156L i dont know if those can mean anything??

thanx for the help so far!

15. ilikeitloud

just went outside again the rotors are 1.25"thick and from what ive read on pirate only ford and dodge used 1.25" thick rotors.sooooooo i have twin piston calipers 1.25" rotors,5 bolt spindle mount pattern sooooooo im think i need calipers from a ford am i correct on assuming this?? if so what year/model ford should i ask for?

thanx matt

16. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Look for the BOM number again. This picture should help you find it.

[​IMG]

17. ilikeitloud

yea i already checked there over and over and cant find anything.hellllllllllp me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    just went outside again the rotors are 1.25"thick and from what ive read on pirate only ford and dodge used 1.25" thick rotors.sooooooo i have twin piston calipers 1.25" rotors,5 bolt spindle mount pattern sooooooo im think i need calipers from a ford am i correct on assuming this?? if so what year/model ford should i ask for?

thanx matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell them it's a '78 F350 or something.

19. ilikeitloud

or something /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif another observation that ive made is that the knuckle doesnt have clearance for large single-piston calipers like chevys do hmmmmm

20. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

if you cant see the BOM number you have to use a wire brush to scrape down to it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif