Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I dont know what to do. (another job post)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Dec 3, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Got 3 opportunities, but they're not all at the same time.

1) Batavia, Illinois, 32K per year, plant and staff seem like great people, perfect job but not perfect location or salary and they want an answer NOW

2) Minneapolis, MN, mid 40's, construction type job for 2 more years, then have to move again, reputable good company, lots of opportunity for advancement. And dont exactly have the offer yet, dont even know if I will

3) Stephenville, Tx, waste management job, good job, 32K, but really too close to home for the wife, she wants to make our own life somewhere else for a few years. Don't exactly have this job in the bag either.

Any way I go, I hope to come home after 3 or 4 years and possibly dip my hand into the family business and definately have KIDS! I know what opinions are like, but I'm asking for them here. I have till the end of the week tops before I can blow the illinois job off, they want an answer. Do I take it even though the pay isn't what I think it should be? Or do I boot it even though nothing else is in the bag? I think my wheeling opportunities will suffer in the north, but that's not what I'm most worried about right now. Just need to provide some security for the wife.

Other wrenches thrown in:

My wife is a schoolteacher and needs to give her notice by the end of the week anyway if we aren't going to be here. It's hard to leave in the middle of a school year.

She wants to move away for two or three years to bond more together. As it is, we spend so much time with family, it's almost like "Everybody loves Raymond". Not that that's a bad thing, but it doesn't allow you a lot of time to bond. Yet, it'd be nice to settle down some from my perspective.

And number 3, any headhunters on here or anyone know any good entry level occupational safety jobs? Any help, opinons, flames, dirty words, or kind thoughts appreciated.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1) Batavia, Illinois, 32K per year, plant and staff seem like great people, perfect job but not perfect location or salary and they want an answer NOW

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the salary liveable? Potential for increase? What is wrong with the location? Of the options you listed this sounds like the most viable...

3. AGM

AGM Registered Member

I'd go with number 2. You want to move in a few years and they want you to move in a couple years. A good company with advancement is good. It pays roughly 40% more than the other jobs.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

None of those sound so good, have you tried monster.com /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah, monster.com has yielded NO return out of the 50+ jobs I've sent my resume to. Everyone wants experience, and all I have is a 6 month internship.

Number 2 does sound good, and I may go for it if #1 lets me have till the end of the week to decide. It's just so much of a maybe right now.

#1 is ok, but illinois isn't texas dammit. Not my kind of people really, and their expectations seem to be low as far as value of living. I wouldn't be able to have a house, yard, or shop, all of which i could probably do on more income or more southern location. But it may be the best move.........ARGH!!!!

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

We have a plant in Batavia, IL (plastics injection molding). Buddy of mine that moved with me from Portland, OR to New Castle, PA as a team (he was my Production Manager) moved to Batavia as PM over a year ago. Bought a nice house on a half acre on the Naperville/Aurora border, very nice house (been there, seen it) for $170K. That is a good price for the area. Lots to do, plenty of culture and sports in Chicago, and only a 30-45 minute drive (if traffic cooperates, which in Chicago is usually NOT). Lots of good opportunities in the area, economy has not tanked as bad as everywhere else. $32K is not a lot of money tho, should be worth more in that part of the country, even as a newbie.

Minneapolis job sounds pretty good if you can stand the weather............not that Chicago is much better but it is colder and snowier. Plus you get a chance to move somewhere else - IF you have no kids moving is fun, if you have kids and they are getting towards school age, you want them to stay put after the early grade school years.

Been relocated three times, all were worth it, but I'll never leave Oregon again if I can help it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Yeah, monster.com has yielded NO return out of the 50+ jobs I've sent my resume to.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no sh!t...same here. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Sorry No opinion on the job choice.

I liked to fell out of my chair with the comment about "Everyone loves Raymond" show. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Keep looking and good luck!!!

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The salary is liveable on a dual income. I dont have a clue how someone could live comfortably on it by themselves. I didn't graduate college to go down in my living style!

they do a 1-5% increase yearly, with potential to move between companies, there's over400 plants in the leggett and platt corporation....just the salary seems low.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Dang, $32k doesn't seem like much money, I made that working as a bicycle mechanic. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Pay in CA does tend to be pretty high though. I'd go for #2 if you can, but you might try to get #1 to up the offer a bit and see what they can do. Worst that can happen is they say no. </font color>

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

already tried that...they said Hell No

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

So the 32K is fixed until the next yearly increase, or is there a possible increase sooner based on performance?

13. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Dang, $32k doesn't seem like much money, I made that working as a bicycle mechanic

[/ QUOTE ]

I can fix bikes! Know of any jobs??? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

32K around here is a phenomenal starting wage...of course you can purchase a 4 bedroom home for 60K. Low pay/low cost of living.

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

it's a yearly evaluation. And there is also a 8-15% bonus based on several factors in the company like production numbers coupled with how everyone's jobs are being done. It's the same bonus for everyone. Half is paid monthly, and half as a christmas bonus at the end of the year. Benefits are also GREAT.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The salary is liveable on a dual income.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will your wife be able to get a job in the area easily enough? If so it might be a good move for a couple of years. Use them to help out your resume for later. When you've had enough start firing out resumes with companies farther south/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif until you find what you want closer to Texas.

Bird in the hand...my opinion may be somewhat biased being as I'm unemployed though.

Rene

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yes, as a teacher, she can get 40K if you believe that!!! It's nuts, exact opposite from here. And that, Rene, is the big draw about this company. I'd be the cheif safety officer of a 70 person plant, able to make my own protocol and programs and really have something awesome to put on my resume....Anyway, just called the president and they're giving me till Friday for my definate answer.

Bryan

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

On definate plus of illinois is that snowboarding is only 2 hours away. I could trade the 4x4 thing for boarding for a couple years and not have any real hangups. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hey Bryan, so it looks like you've held out on the Illinois gig. Good for you for not jumping at it! Based on what you have shared, I'd opt for #2, if I had to make choices. Also, there is a #4 option, stay where you are doing what you do until the economy gets a little better. You and your wife need to decide what works for you. All I can say is that $32K per year anywhere near the Chicago area is crappy.

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i've been putting them off for a couple of weeks now, but they need a definate answer by friday. I should have an offer from the other 2 by then if they're going to give me one. As it is, I dont really have a job here right now since I had an internship and we've mutually decided not to do a fulltime thing out of it. It was insurance loss control and I couldn't get fired up about it at all. So I'm looking for a job NOW no matter what. Whatever I choose to do however, i'll keep my resume fresh in dallas and north texas so when something awesome opens up I dont want to miss out.

20. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a cousin up here just getting into boarding... Devil's head is right around here (about 2hrs) and there are even a few smaller places that you can go to. There is a place about 10 minutes from me, and probably 45 minutes from the Batavia area! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Best of luck on your decision!

-Dan