Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I dont know what to do???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sho_shane, Feb 1, 2007.

1. sho_shane

sho_shane Registered Member

Ok I have had this K5 for a month now and i just dont know weather to keep it or sell it. I have always wanted a jacked up 4x4 and a K5 is that and more.

But since iv had it I havent got to drive it cus of all the probs. Heres what Iv found so far:

1. A crack in the frame where the gear box is. (350.00)
    2. It needs a carb. (150.00)
    3. It needs a new gear box. (165.00)
    4. It needs a new booster and master cyc. (not sure on price)
    5. One of the rear shock mounts has been busted out and rewelded together.(I dont know if this is a comon prob or not)
    6. It needs new floor pans in the front. (again not sure on price)
    7. It does need alittle body work. (not sure on price)

Heres the good:
    1. Its has a full susp under it. (Worth alittle at least)
    2. It has the NP203 converted to part time.
    3. The body is in over all good shape.
    4. The motor runs ok I guess.
    5. The back floor is soild.
    6. Where the tail gate is theres no rust.

Now with all this to light heres what I ask. I would want to make this thing new. I mean new as I can make it. I want it to run good drive better and off road the best. At the same time have A/C and a nice stereo and beable to take me back and forth to work with no probs. I guess I just want to vent but im really losing faith in my old K5 and every day I have o talk my self in to keeping it another day... So any words of advice on the way im feeling? Have some of you guys went throw the same thing?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

My dad, God rest his soul, always used to say

And I've always found it to be true.

I bought my Blazer for $3500 and I've spent at least that much in repairs, mods and upkeep in just over two years. And it was in decent condition when I bought it!

It's just the nature of the beast. You're going to spend money on it. You can either spend money paying somebody else to work on it for you or you can spend money on tools and learn to do it yourself.

For now, don't sweat the body work, though. Having it mechanically sound is the most important thing. If you plan on 'wheeling it, it's always going to need body work. :D

Make a priority list, with the safety issues (steering, brakes) at the top, and just work on it as time and money allows.

3. sho_shane

Well what I didnt say was that this has to be my DD. I dont have the money to but another car right now. So I have to have the carb and like you said the safty stuff fixed now. SO im looking at around 850.00 just to get it on the road and running good down the road.:(

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What'd you pay for it?

5. sho_shane

Well all in all call it 1500.00 I guess. But I really didnt pay for it. I did some trading.

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Here's my $0.02.

If you stick with the hobby you are really likely to make a ton of mods to the truck. I'd start by looking at what kind of wheeling you are going to end up doing. And I'd look and see how others that do that sort of wheeling have built up their trucks.

My suggestion, aside from safety items, try and spend money on parts that you can take with you to the next rig. That way the money is more of an investment if you do decide down the line that this particular truck isn't for you. For example your carb can be used later on. You will want a bolt on steering brace, another thing you can take with you.

Now if you do have some disposable income, I'd look for a rig with a 'better' drive train and less metal work.

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

1. A crack in the frame where the gear box is. (350.00) - Common. they have braces to fix it. lots of the guys on here have done it.
    2. It needs a carb. (150.00)-get a quardajet, holley truck avenger, or use the oportunity to grab a holley projection kit on ebay
    3. It needs a new gear box. (165.00) - checked the junkyard or our classifieds? maybe it's time to do crossover steering.
    4. It needs a new booster and master cyc. (not sure on price) - common part. easy to find.
    5. One of the rear shock mounts has been busted out and rewelded together.(I dont know if this is a comon prob or not)- common prob. mine is cracked. did a ghetto brace job and drive it like i stole it.
    6. It needs new floor pans in the front. (again not sure on price)- check lmc catalog for replacement panels. i patched mine with metal i had around, rivets, bolts, and some ats duct epoxy.
    7. It does need a little body work. (not sure on price) - wheel it, tap a tree, and be glad you didn't drop cash on making it pretty (of course mine isn't my dd)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Not bad sir.

9. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let's see - if you keep the Blazer:

Positives:

1. Your not going to lose any money on depreciation - even if you beat the hell out of it.
    2. You can work on it yourself(I'm assuming)
    3. You can build it however you want it(within budget)
    4. Blazers are way up there on the cool factor, IMO.
    5. You don't have a car payment.
    6. Cheap insurance.
    7. Relatively inexpensive parts that you can find anywhere.
    8. You have a reason to burn a lot of time on CK5 and this is one of the most cost effective tech tools out there. Also, guys on here will make you good deals on extra parts to fellow members. For example, I've got an extra driver side floor plan from LMC that I'd part with for a 6 pack of Lonestar if you wanted to come get it.

Negatives:

1. You will never,ever have it completely fixed - especially if you offroad. - You have to be prepared mentally for this.
    2. Gas mileage sucks.
    3. You will break down on side of the road every once in a while.

That's my $.02.

10. sho_shane

I had another bad week at work. I only made 192.34 and had to spend 123.00 getting food for the wife and kids. With my life going like this right now I dont see how im EVER going to get my frame fixed. And theres no point in doing anything eles till I get that done. :(:(:( I really just want to cry...

11. sho_shane

But ill take you up on that pan.:wink1: Just let me know when your free. It might be nice to hang out with a fellow K5er

12. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

you dont have any buddies with a welder? i'd weld it for you if I was closer. Any used vehicle you buy is gonna need repairs, so i'd just hang on and slowly get it all fixed. It takes time, but you'll probably be glad you kept it.

13. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

So you are looking at spending less than $2500 total for a DD? What's the problem:rolleyes:

Nobody else has mentioned it but you should have caught most, if not all, of those problems before buying it:rolleyes:

Keep checking the boards as others have mentioned. You can probably get that stuff fixed for less than half of your estimates.

Good luck.

14. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

drop me a pm. I keep most of my junk at my office out at DFW Airport. You can come by just about anytime M-F as long as I know your coming

15. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

It sucks, but you have to either love the truck enough to deal with it or you have to move on to something else. You can pick up quite a few of those parts at a yard for cheap and if you could find someone to weld for booze you can get a few of your pther probs fixed for cheap. All in all, are common probs on a 20+ year old truck. .

16. sho_shane

Im just having a hard time right now with all thats in my life. Im not going to get rid of it an im sure over time some things will get better:)

17. sho_shane

I just need to find 350 for my welding. It would also help tho if someone new where I could get a good used brace for it. When I do get it welded up.

18. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Hey this is off topic but I saw that you are from leonard.

My old roommate from my freshman year of college is from there. His name is Jared Henderson. Do you know him?

19. sho_shane

No I dont know him. I grew up in Greenville Tx about 20 miles from leonard. I moved here about 8 months ago. I had know where eles to go when me and my wife started going tho our divoce.:)