Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I dont know what to do

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Apr 10, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I am seriously jelious of most of you. I know (relativly) nothing about trucks mechanicaly, electric, or other wise. I know i want a powerful truck that is comfortable to drive around in, but can be wheeled hard at a moments notice. I will say it i plain out want it to look bad ass too. My problem is however, I can not get my self to put the money for lifts and tires and all the nessesaries for harder wheeling, when I fear my truck will not run at all. How stupid would that be a beautiful blazer that barley runs? How can I make the engine sound? I really don't have any problems now, but the thing has over 200,000 miles on it. What would make it preform better, and longer? Reliability and longevity are more important than extream hp and torque, but If I can have both that is great. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

200k and still running well? congrats, that doesnt happen often. For a good, strong, RELIABLE motor, look at getting a rebuilt 350. A 350 block can be found relatively cheap in most places, just look at a basic rebuild with a good aftermarket cam, intake and headers. This should give a strong motor, but nothing extreme, and the mods are relatively simple. As for a lift, look at a 4" lift. This is a good middle of the road lift that can be run with either 33's or 35's, and with trimming of the fenders you can run up to 36"+. I would do 4" springs up front and the ORD shackle flip out back. The ORD flip is cheaper than rear springs, but has none of the drawbacks of blocks. This lift souldnt require too many mods to complete, and can be done relatively inexpensively.

Good luck man.

As for not knowing much about trucks in general, Hey, its no big deal, EVERYBODY STARTS SOMEWHERE. Once upon a time, everyone on this board knew as much as you. Just dont be afraid to ask questions. Thats how you learn. 99%of the time people love to answer. Get yourself a haynes manual, and read it cover to cover. this will teach alot about your truck. also, dont be afraid to go into your local parts store and just talk to the guys in there. (the ones at the parts counter, not the cashiers) most of the guys in there have been doing this for a while, and like to answer questions.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

200000 miles sounds like its almost broke in to me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. there is probablly someone near you that is in this site. just ask, this forum was made for stuff like that.If it wasent for The General i would still be running around stock or would of paid somebody else to work on it.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it RUNS....Drive it!! I started 10 years ago, Rome wasn`t built in a day, so don`t get intimadated, it takes time and experiance. At first, I just helped people wrench on there trucks, untill I got the confidance to do my own repairs. Now I can do anything myself. There are many inexpensive ways to lift your vehical....body lifts....blocks...My first mod was 33 in Tires.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well Duke, I can speak from experience. When I bought my K5, I was "sorta mechanical"... I knew what I had to do, I just didn't really know HOW to do it. All of the tools I could need are at my finger tips, but exactly how the heck did they work. I started asking questions,, here mostly, and some to John... He thought I was insanse for tackling the projects I have with it...HE is he mechanic in the family, so I knew he wouldn't tell me something totally off base. Plus, with all the guys and gals here, I knew I could handle most of what I needed to do. I replaced my fenders, and doors by myself.. with help from John to line up the doors... I swapped the oil sending unit, did a "tune up" on her... am now sure of how to get my 4lo to engage, and stay their. (thats from this board).. etc... the one thing to remember, nobody here will think anything less of ANYONE for asking a question. For the record I see some pretty serious mechanics on there asking for advice...

just start small, get yourself familiar with your truck buy a chiltons, and read it... thats how I knew how to swap the glass in my doors without many smooshed fingers.

Brandy

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys that was the encouragement I was looking for. Sometimes I feel like my petty little things are not worth peoples times answering. I about have my Hanes maual memorized, that is why It runs really well, also why I fear it blowing up all at once too. Ahh heck I love you guys (tear) I'd be up a creek with out a paddle with out this place. Thank you Steve.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If reliability if job #1, lifts and trick suspensions are out... so are big tires. Keep it stock, in that regard, and you'll be happy happy.

J

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Concerning the engine, just one man's opinion.

If you want reliability, drive it till it dies. Save your pennies till then, and invest in a 260hp GM crate motor from scroggin dickey. You'll get a more powerful engine than yours originally came with, and more importantly, a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on the engine and internals.

Btw, not all of us have a fortune invested in our trucks. I have just over $4K including the purchase price. And my motor is stock with 160K on the ticker.

9. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Like others have said you gotta start somwhere, I only really started turning the wrenches about 4-5 yrs ago, and have now done a complete frame swap (check out my website). Reading yor manuel is the first step in the right direction. good job. Ok for a lift I would have to say go with a Rough County 4" lift. I got mine for $579 I think with fron and rear springs, shocks, u bolts, steering arm, pretty much everything you would need, great deal for someone who is on a budget.. hope this helps and hey you got any questions email me or IM surg7498@yahoo.com or IM surg7498
    Sergio

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wow, 200,000 miles !!!! I hope my 400 small block makes it close to that. If you want to, rebuild it instead of replacing it. I'd use a 9 to 1 piston, a COMP CAMS extream 4x4 cam, and a dual plain intake manifold. Also a set of "HOOKER" competition series headers. I'm a big fan of "HOOKER" headers.

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Now hold on here boys, I agree with Duke saving his money for a new motor, but don't get carried away with it if you can't afford it. While it's still running good, check into what you want and how much it will cost. It's really easy to get carried away even with just the motor. Start with a list of needed things and work with it. If you dump all your money into the motor and the tranny dies, you have a truck with a motor that goes NO WHERE. The great part about starting out and having a kick butt site like this to look at, is you can see what other guys and gals have done and slowly build from there. Start with the basics 1st.
    /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif<font color=blue>THEN build a bad a$$ K5 and go broke like the rest of us!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif