Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I don't know who's dumber...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 7, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

My husky for running away all the time, or my wife and I for not figuring out how to stop him.

We have an Invisible Fence covering our entire acre lot, and usually our dogs are very good about staying home, especially in inclement weather. Being a husky, Loki absolutely hates water, but loves snow, so I can understand why he would run away in winter. However, right now we are in the middle of a Thunderstorm, and not only does he not like water, but he is afraid of thunder. My wife let him out to pee this morning at about 5:30, and he took off out the back lot line and decided to go for a romp in the rain and mud. Usually, I can find him and get him back home within 5-15 minutes, but I can't see anything right now because it is still dark, but I did hear his collar jiggling earlier. I stopped hearing it, so I moved on, and now I have to wait until sunrise to go look for him again, and until 7am to report him missing to the Police so when THEY find him, they don't charge me $50.00 for their troubles.

2. PhoenixZorn

Still haven't found him, called the Police and reported him missing. Its still raining hard outside, so I imagine he's hunkered down somewhere waiting for it to lift. My wife is coming home around noon, so hopefully, she will find him then.

3. PhoenixZorn

Well... he's back, a guy down the block called me and I sent my neighbor over to get him... She said he's full of dog **** and soaking wet. She however neglected to remove his shock collar before going into my driveway, and he got the crap shocked out of him because the field width is so wide. Anyway, he's safely back in his kennel, and my wife and I are seriously considering calling Invisible Fence to have them remove this fence and go buy a Chain Link fence from The Depot.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Real fence is good , and protects you from being blamed for anything other neighborhood dogs do .

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wow, i'm glad to hear you have your pup back,thats a funky feeling when you can't find them. you gey scared for them and also realize they can take care of themselves.i know the shock colar didn't work on the destoyer. + when dogs are determined they will just deal with that 2 seconds of pain.:D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

With the underground fence you really have to train the dog to know where the line is. Otherwise they will get near it, panic, and run the wrong way. We use the "stubborn dog" collars on my Labs and have themdiled all the way up. They know where the line is and stay away. Far away.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Husky's are too g/d smart for their own good. We have a 6' high cedar fence and she digs out all the time. So we put in an invisible fence underneath, so if she is even within 3' of the fence, she gets shocked.

Unless she somehow loosens the collar part of the invisible fence isn't tight enough, she will test her boundries often enough that she will dig through the wire because it's not shocking her bad enough.

A friend of mine who has 2 huskies has a livestock fence mounted 3" from the ground around her entire acre parcel because her dogs kept diggin out.

It may sound but these dogs need to be in concrete kennels when unattended if you want to 100% gaurantee to keep them in.

I'm glad he came back home..

8. cbbr

I have an actual electric fence strung low just inside of our wood fenced back yard where the dogs stay during the day. That stopped the testing/digging problems.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

We used to have a Husky/Malamute mix. That dog simply would NOT listen to any commands once she figured out that she was not on a leash or inside a fence. She would turn up MILES away from the house. We finally got tired of paying fines to the dog catcher and gave her to the Humane Society. :( The German Shepherd mix that we got to replace her was the best dog I've had in my life. :cool1:

10. cbbr

2 words - chain, tree.;)

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hee, hee, hee............................Huskies.......................hee, hee.........:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

12. dontoe

Oh yeah, Huskies.........................:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

[​IMG]

13. PhoenixZorn

Awesome picture Don... Loki is very well trained on the boundaries of the fence, and this one isn't the kind from Home Depot that you can turn up the collars on... they just have different strength collars for different dogs. Pepper, the lab has a standard collar and 2 shock prongs. Loki, the badass has a bigdog collar with 4 shock prongs. He gets jolted good when it hits him, but he is so fast when he's chasing something, he passes the fence before it shocks him. Basically, if I'm standing out in the yard with him, he'll listen to me when he starts chasing something, but if like yesterday, they are outside by themselves, they have no problem with finding a squirrel to chase 3 houses away while I'm standing at the back door in my underwear.

14. dontoe

I bought a shocking collar, to try to stop him from running away. He quickly learned, if he ran fast enough, he could quickly get out of the 100 yard range, and he was free! Jerking and yelping, but running like 'ell!!! :eek1:

A$$hole dog! :mad:

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hell if I'm gonna feed a dog that won't stay home. :rolleyes: What's the point? :confused:

16. cbbr

Yeah, that was just a joke. The fence for us is cheaper than the Vet bills when they get run over, but there is only so much aggrivation I wold be wlling to put up with.

17. dontoe

Jackson is on a heavy chain, with two shock absorbing springs, on a swivel, on a extra heavy duty pulley, on a 3/16 wire rope streached between two trees. That way he can run some and get fresh air. He stays inside if I'm home.

18. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I too have been through that. I ended up taking mine to a county shelter sponsored training class for me and the dog, and its educated me how to handle the dog better. I learned a lot. I also learned that Huskies and Malmutes are runners......if given the chance they will run...at least until they get to be 5 or 6 years. I had to pour a slab and put a kennel up to keep her from digging also. Then she figured how to push out the hitch clip, and unlatch it to get out, so I had to put a bolt and nut in it to keep it latched. Even through all that she was the best dog I ever had outta 6 or 7.

19. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Our old dog, border collie/german sheperd used to run away anytime she got outside of the fence. We used to go looking for her but we realized that she always came back after an hour or two. One time was kind of scary cuz she went up to where our nieghbors have their horses, she was barking at them and the horses were trying to kick her but she was actually to quick.

Glad to hear your dog is back.