Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i dont think ill ever finish it...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Dec 4, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

man...the more i look at this truck the more i just want to set fire to it and watch it go!! it needs so damn much why the F did i ever buy this thing!!??...like im ever going to get it drivable anyway...might as well start lookin for another...just had to get that of my chest...my blazer needs to have the floor fixed..the supports that connect to the rockers are gone just about...i have to do something with the rear window problem...needs a new front tie rod bar/stabalizer..shocks...heater needs to be looked at it..gas gauge dont work..i mean comon!! any wanna take this of my hands!!??..and no im not kidding..the floor thing is the worst part of it.. i have no body experience at all but for painting with a can...thats it. and im just not up to it anymore.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I used to have a Suburban that was that bad. I ended up moving from Minnesota out to Oregon. Then started buying rust free trucks instead and parting out the rustbuckets...

Not that it cant be fixed. I have been reading a thread on a classic truck website about the winter beaters some guys are driving that they just use spray foam to fill the holes and duct tape over that to make it flat. Then roller paint job to make it all one color /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Byran,

Not to be mean...but this about the 20th post about how much work it's gonna be to fix the rust in your truck. If it's that bad then anything you do will be an improvement. Go out and start hacking and cutting anything that isn't solid. Pop rivet some steel in and seal it up with some good sealer if you can't weld. It won't be any worse than it is right now and it may last you a while til you can afford better. Staring at a big job and complaining about it doesn't get it done.

I'll edit this post with a link to my webshots and you can see what I had to go through with my truck.

*edit with link* http://community.webshots.com/album/56289905xFbwfK

Currently my truck is in pieces yet again. Aside from the front windshield there is not one single part, piece or bolt that hasn't been turned, removed, replaced or rebuilt at the moment. Yeah, it is a lot of work, but a few hours here and there get it done.

*end edit*

Rene

4. kennyw

Hey it is already ugly and rusted. Dont worry about making it perfect just concentrate on making it better (and safer!!!).

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

DAMN RENE! Never realized yours was that bad....originally. By the way love the rock sliders....

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Gotta love so cal /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. tRustyK5

Now you know why i chose tRusty as a user name.:o

Rene

8. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Patients my son! It took three LoooooooonnnnnnngggggggYears to get my rig to its present state! Lotsa money n lotsa busted knuckles!]
    Bill

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Damn man, That pic of your truck with White doors, Black(atleast i think black im colorblind)front fenders and black bed, is F'in awesome, look like a bad ass Cop car or something,

10. tRustyK5

A few guys used to gimme a hard time about the color combo...kinda like the Blues Bros K5 or something. The last straw color wise was the baby blue passenger door that went on...at that point I painted the whole truck flat black/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i havent figured out a color for my truck yet.... ;( kinda want to Stick with Oakland Raiders colors /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i know! i dont mean to be a pain..i agree it probobly does get sickning listing to me whine..i cant help it..im a whiner lol. i liked the pics there..that would be something that would fix me right up..but im not sure how hard something like that would be..(replcing whole tub) and most of all...wear i would find a rust free one..or close to it! lol..thats wear i like pickups more body wise...a lot simpler to fix things on...swap a box boom done...my dads truck was a total rust bucket..but now its pretty solid...every body panal plus the box has been replaced on it...but for the cab itself!! and thats not including the floors! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

13. tRustyK5

You're not being a pain...I was trying to get you motivated to start. Once you start it isn't as bad as you thought and you feel better because you're doing something.

Rust free tubs or even partial body's can be hard to find and may not be the path you take. You can make the truck better though. 1/8 stainless steel pop rivets hold really well so if a welder is the stumbling block it can be got around. Start patching what you can and drive it for a while...save up and when you can look for a southern truck to start with.

Rene

14. kennyw

If you want a pickup cab I have a bare rust free cab with title sitting here in Oregon doing nothing...CAB PIC
    For $100 plus shipping (maybe $300-400?) it would cost a lot less than all the patch panels you need /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just mount it on one of your blazer frames with a short flatbed and have a great wheeling rig...

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does this mean I don't have to hassle with cutting out the tail pan and most of the floor from the '88 for ya this weekend? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

no harry lol..i still can use what ya got!!..but just a quick question to everyone hear.. i was talkin to a guy that sells rust free body parts... www.rustfreebodyparts.com
    they say they have anything you can think of..i asked him about a blazer tub..he replyed to me with pics..blazer tub..firwall back..not a speck of rust on the thing..just one small dent on the driver side...interior in it to..not sure if it was on a frame...i would think so..is that worth 1300...thats including shipped to my door..it had the topper on it and eveything..even though it would be like buying another truck..i would jump on that..only thing is thats a lot of money!! that i dont have..but also...the idea of putting a pickup cab on there is a good idea...never thought of that..it may happen someday..but i want to see what i can do with this first..

17. kennyw

Where is that shipping from? $1300 and I could get you a complete running rust free truck out here worthy of flying in and driving home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A bet I could get you a semi-complete tub out of a wrecking yard for $300-500 and ship for close to $500 more... But that still leaves alot of work to do.

If you do a lot of work and swap on some rust free body parts you wont want to drive it in the winter ever again. You will have to buy another rusty beater just for that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea thats what i was saying to my dad lol. im afriad this is a little extreme for me. i should proboboly check the yards around here and see what i can come up with. and just work with what i have..patching the floor up and stuff.

19. tRustyK5

$1300 delivered sure isn't bad (IMHO) It's so much easier to deal with a body that has never been rusted...it's worth it just from the aggravation factor.

I picked up a rust free Texas truck for $800 a year and a half ago...but I had to drive down and pick it up. It cost me more than $1300 total to have it home...

Rene

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the only thing im worred about is takin the old body of and swapping the new on...thats quite a bit of work isnt it? this is the firewall back to...besdes getting all the bolts out..what is involved...most importantly..how the heck do you get the body on it!!?? a lift or crane or something?