Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I don't understand real estate brokers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ugly_blazer, Jul 8, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I don\'t understand real estate brokers

How can a real estate broker say "List your house with me, I can get you more for it than anyone else" and then also say "If you need a house, buy one from me. I can get you in a house for less than anyone else". I just don't understand how they can sell a house for top dollar and bottom dollar at the same time when "top dollar" and "bottom dollar" are thousands of dollars apart? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: I don\'t understand real estate brokers

I read somewhere that Real Estate people ranks lower than Car Salesmen and Lawyers on one of those Moral Ethics scale questionaires....IIRC they were the bottom on the list.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

I think that if a realtor sells your house for you and makes the money, he or she shouldn't charge ANY commission on finding you a home! Afterall, they just made there money. Nothing like having a double edge sword slice you up.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The broker is acting as YOUR agent and supposedly your best interest in both scenarios. They are working for you, not the seller in the other house. But you have to specify that in writing. They will be a buyers agent...

IMO, Real Estate agents are overpaid for the amount of work they do for you. These people take a two week course and say they are experts in the field. I did about two hours worth of research on the net and sold my house in less than a month "For Sale by Owner". I was able to reduce the selling price of my house (so it would sell quicker), save $10,000 on the brokerage fee, and still got what I wanted out of the house. Real Estate Agents are just another level of bureaucracy that is added to the house selling process. It is also another level of communication that can break down or be misinterpreted and screw up the process, in turn costing you money.

If your are listing your house and using the same agent to buy another, I would ask for a reduced fee since they will be making money on both transactions.