Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I don't wanna die, help stop the roll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Oct 9, 2003.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I don\'t wanna die, help stop the roll

I am running Springer Shackles with Ford 57" springs and need to mount some shocks. Being human, I was hoping to learn from your mistakes (and laugh at your misfortunes).

What is the best way to mount shocks for this setup that will not limit my flex, but will keep the truck solid on sharp corners going 120 mph?

I have heard the willis way of center mounting doesn't help the roll when you are running springs this soft.

So, I would love to hear your stories and see your pics, thanks.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: I don\'t wanna die, help stop the roll

aint no rig on 57s cornering at 120 mph. lol!!! hell, my springs are stiffer and I never take a 90 degree turn at over 4-5 mph.

j

3. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

That was meant to be an elaborate yet creative way to say:
    I want the best streetable rig while still having maximum flex offroad.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

two pretty different design goals... why not just rust a sway bar with disconnects?

j

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You'll probably have to go through the floor in the back so you can get the shocks standing straight up. That's really the only way to get the travel that you need out of the shocks and keep them in an orientation where they work the way they are supposed to to damp the axle as well as reduce sway.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Here are the slanted forward / inbound of the frame pics. You can see the crossmember I mounted my 12" shocks on and they cycle completely with the suspension while not becoming expensive limiting straps. I like the Rancho 9000's in this position simply for the ability to adjust the dampening based upon the load but the 50/50 dampening is not very good for high speed. I would rather see someone get into a $75 each Bilstein with sepperate compression and rebound dampening for maximum effectiveness. Dont angle farther than 45 degrees or the shocks become ineffective. Your crossmember may be farher forward on your blazer than my 79.

http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/imageview.cgi?gallery=messageboard/uploads/shock-relocation-2

Blazinair has a better setup as Shaggy has pointed out if you can come up through the floor - pics are here:

http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/imageview.cgi?gallery=portfolio/shockhoop

7. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pics. BTW, I thought the new 9000x shocks from rancho have the adjustable and seperate compression and rebound dampening?

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have changed my way of mounting the shocks. after putting in rear 57" fords my long DT's are almost too short so I have mounted them in a way similar to Mikes. but they also point inward at a slight angle. kinda like the front shocks... well in a way they are since I used an old set of front mounts welded to the rear axle,LOL!!!!