Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I drove a Brand new Rabbit tonight

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 20, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What a doofy car... It's my brothers and he left it at my mom's while he's out on his bike. It's 2 months old and he already has 8000 miles on it from driving all over the country after leaving the navy.

Well anyway, it's dark out, I had to back it out, so I figure reverse is in the usual spot, all the way right and down. No, it's all the way left and up :haha:.

So I took it around the block a few times, and it's pretty uncomfortable. It was pretty easy to drive, but I was way too low, the interior lighting was some bizarre mix of red and blue, and there was way too much shiznit going on in the instrument cluster, which also seemed to be right in my face. Top it off, the car is ridiculously small, like might as well be battery powered small.

So I won't be buying one of them soon. I won't actually be buying anything soon, anyway, just figured I review it while it was fresh in my experience... :wink1:

But if I were in California, I'd think about sueing VW for making tall people feel stubby.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats how reverse has been on VW's since the dawn of time. I'm surprised You didn't have to to push down on the gear shifter as well........

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

is he the same height as you? if so, how can he stand it?

second fock chop, a lot of autos are like that now.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha:
    Yes, I did have to push down on it! That's why I couldn't find reverse in the dark and it took me a couple minutes to figure out.
    I think I vaguely remember that on an old school beetle now that you mention it. This may very well be the first VW I've ever driven...

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey Calm the pickle down! My newest vehicle is a '99, and automatic!

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yep a VW trait... :) I love dubs.... Have owned two 98 GTI's... And (1) 69 Karmann Ghia... Haven't seen or drove a new Rabbit yet though. But I love the other models! Still hoping to get a chance to drive an R32!!!!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup-VW's can be weird!

I miss my 86 Jetta diesel!..and my old Bugs, and 63 Bus camper I had--but I'd be killed driving an air cooled one here now..too slow,and poor brakes!..neat nostalgia vehicles,but not practical on todays streets..

The VW I'd like to test drive is the new "Toureg" (if I spelled it right!)--its got a V10 DIESEL in it with over 300 hp,and gobs of torque--and I've heard its quite capable off road! (AWD maybe?)..I bet its no mileage champ like the Rabbits and Jettas were though..but I bet it throws you back in the seat when you floor it!..:D

8. Emmettology 101

Those are very nice!!!! Also add the Touregs big brother to your list.. The Porsche Cayenne with the twin turbo.. 450 hp! :eek1:

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the new Rabbit is a rebaged Golf.
    I dont know why VW went from such the simple car they built for many years to the tekno gizmo car they are now:mad: Not to impresed with "German Engnering" After all they did loose WW2. My daughter has a Turbo Jetta. It runs great. According to my G-tech it goes thru the 1/4 in the high 14s. But I work on it all the time. It has a lot of electrical/computer/EMS gremlins and problems. The computer(s) controls everything in the car. IMO it is too high tech but not the high quality it needs to make it work right.. I would never get another VW. I like to drive cars not work on them. I know a few peopl who have bought them and got rid of them in the last few years and had quit a few problms. The TDs seem to be the best of the bunch as far as reliability goes. Stay away from Touregs=Junk.
    My daughter is getting real tired of her Jetta and its problems and wants a Toyota Corolla.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

He had a GTI before this. I think he's hooked on VW's, but I'm not really impressed at all. I don't like them visually, and after driving the rabbit, nothing special makes me want it.

It strikes me as the macintosh of the automobile world...

11. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are many people at my school that have mommy and daddy's money when it comes to cars and one of them drives one. I don't know why her parents think it's cool to spoil the snot out of her then on top of it just give her this the day she gets her license.... I dunno :dunno:

Looks exaclty like this one.....

[​IMG]

-Avery

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That pretty well sums it up.

13. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

One of the 4wheeler mags had it a Tourag as 4wheeler of the year a couple
    years ago and did a year long test drive with it. They actually stated in print that they were getting to be known on first name basis with the local dealer because they were in there so often. A VW is a great car for you to own if I'm you're mechanic:wink1:
    George

14. Emmettology 101

The Touregs do start out somewhat low priced at around $36K... I think the Turbo Diesel/top-o-da-line version is $80k++....

I have been in to VW's for years and have freinds who are too that also work at the dealers. From whatthey see and I've seen, they aren't any worse then other automakers as far as repairs.

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I had an '01 1.8T. That car only had 28k on it when I bought it and it had the most problems of any car I've owned. I only had it six months before getting rid of it.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bus reverse is left and down, somewhere around where your right knee is, makes it real easy to use the gas while backing up...

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My dad's got a diesel Touareg. 535ft/lbs of torque. MPG in the 20's. AWD, traction control, air suspension. Yes, it plants you in the seat backs. Hard. Spends some time at the dealer, but his isn't as bad as Four Wheeler's was.

The Renault Clio I had in Italy was left and down for Reverse, and you had to push down on the shifter to pass the detent. Maybe it's an European thing...

18. Avery4jc

Still at best to spend $40,000 for a high schooler to drive from home to school just doesn't seem right to me. I dunno though maybe I am just from a different lifestyle.

-Avery

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My VW's weren't so bad...

I spent 100 bucks to buy my 86 Jetta diesel--only things I had to fix was the clutch--previous owner just installed a brand new one,but the disc lost one anti-rattle spring,and it lodged in the diaphram fingers of the pressure plate,and it wouldn't release..:doah: --the disc still had "Raybestos" printed on its linings,after 3000 miles!..:eek1:

It cost me 96 bucks for another brand new LUK clutch at pep boys,I didn't feel like pulling the tranny twice,in case just replacing the disc only didn't pan out--other than that,a timing belt (after it snapped while idling,but luckily no valves got bent!)..and front brake pads,1 rear wheel cylinder..those were the only things I did in 5 years of abusive driving!..

Only thing I hated about fixing that car was the fact VW uses ALLEN HEAD metric bolts on EVERYTHING!..and some boob used Torx bits on them before I did!--it SUCKED pulling the axles out,and removing the timing belt cover..even the wheel cylinders used allen bolts!..and changing glow plugs was a real joy too..:mad: ..lucky for me mine never needed any,but I did help a friend change some on his "wabbit" ..

My old air cooled VW's were pretty rugged in my opinion--anything a 16 year old can beat on for 10,000 miles without major failure is qiute a car if you ask me..my "mommy and daddy" bought my first one for me (150 bucks for a 63 Beetle!)-but I had to pay them back!..

I agree the newer VW's aren't what they used to be..they need to get back to their roots,and realize "simple is better" again..I drove a 2000 Jetta with a VR-6 motor the other day--that thing is a ROCKET!--but what a piss poor thing to fix and work on..lady who traded it at my friends used car lot said it was broken more than she drove it..:crazy:

20. Avery4jc

Hmm two of my friends at school might want to watch out, one drives a 2003 Jetta (which he hates for some reason, he likes my truck more, lol) and the other drives a new Golf.

-Avery