Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I drove a cummins my first time this week

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Ronnie4wd, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Now I know what torque means /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.
    It´s a C-30 from 76 with a I6 Cummins turbo diesel and a maual (NV4500)
    The engine and the tranny is from a 96 dodge.
    It was so fun to drive it that I traded my 87 K-30 dually for it /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I know what torque means /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 'nuff said!

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, they are unbeleiveable IMHO. What power setting is yours set at? I'm guessing 175/420 IIRC if it's stock. Mine is the newer 24v ISB stock with 235/460 and it hauls ass for a 7K lbs truck.

Whats on the truck for exhaust? Get a good intake system, free flowing exhaust, and a fuel plate & pump tweek. Those 12v'ers make power very easy with just some simple mods.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Time to join the TDR!
    One of the suppliers, Piers I think, gives 10% discount to members. Cost me less than $300 for the fuel plate and 3000 RPM govenor sprink kit(3K GSK). From what I've read sounds like a #10 plate is better for all around use and towing.

Even if you don't install a different fuel plate at least get the 3K GSK. The stock 12Vs start defueling after about 2400 rpm, the 24Vs pull higher in stock for. On the dunes I shift at 3400 rpm now, on the road it pulls really strong up to 3000rpm before defueling starts. You could go with 4000rpm GSK but should replace the stock valve springs.

5. Ronnie4wd

We have TDR here in Sweden too and I´m going to join them soon.
    About the mods and all the goodies I´ll have to wait a bit and try to concentrate to build the truck legal with brakes and non leaking rear axle and radiator and lights and..and...and..
    The exhaust is done (i think) 4" all the way from the turbo.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, drive a newer hopped up one, it will put that one to shame! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, drive a newer hopped up one, it will put that one to shame! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    What year? Mine is a 2001.

8. Ronnie4wd

Sorry I haven´t had any time to be here,I have been snowplowing for a couple of days and is now trying to sleep very much because they say it´s going to start again on monday.
    I don´t think i have the money to buy a newer one AND this one is in a chevy.
    If I can try a newer dodge sometime I will, maybe one of the TDR members will give me a ride.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    What year? Mine is a 2001.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a 2002, dooley, cab and a half. Broke the input shaft, among other things. It ran mid to low 13s. He also did tractor pulls with it.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that a stocker is exactly a dog, but.....wait till you drive one that is BOMBed...........absolutely an amazing difference. All I've done is add an Edge EZ module, a BHAF and straight piped exhaust and it's shamed more than a couple ricers. There are guys running twin turbo's, way more power than I (how does 500 hp/over 1000 ft/lb torque sound) that can run 11 second quarter miles. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif