Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I drove a Motorcycle for the first time today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 13, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Holyfriggincrap, I LOVE IT!!!!

I didn't take the course, and I've ridden a bike once or twice in my life as a passenger, but I figured out how to drive mine tonight in a field, then parking lot, and I just came in from driving around my neighborhood...

I always kind of thought "Ya whatever, I'm sure it's fun, but not THAT great" whenever I heard someone talk about how fun and "free" a motorcycle is, but man, I actually felt it tonight!

I haven't been able to start the bike since I got it home last week, and it wouldn't crank by the start button (traced it down to a relay), so I'd been using a screwdriver across the solenoid to crank it with no luck. I'd only spent a couple hours on it before.
    Today I took off the tank and cleaned it out, wired in a relay I pulled from a junk car somewhere, hit the button and it fired right up. Unfortunately, my electrical bypass didn't kick on the headlight, so after the field riding (which is a bad place to learn, btw), I figured out the wiring and fixed the headlight relay, then just cruised around my neighborhood learning to shift and stop.

I can't wait to get my license and start cruising to work on this. Although, I don't know how soon I'll be confident enough to play in morning rush hour traffic...

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Let me know when the wake is so I can come over and comfort the missess... :D Always wanted to ride but I'm smart enough to know how stupid I could be on one... :doah:

3. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

That's great Ratch!

Enjoy it, but take it easy. Practice stopping!

I'm not going into my full safety "schpeel", so you just enjoy yourself.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I love bikes, but with how everybody just doesn't "see" you, I don't ride in heavy traffic areas.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Ride like everyone with more than 2 wheels is trying to kill you. I don't remember the exact stats, but most bike accidents happen in the 1st year of riding. Have a blast on the bike, but ride paranoid.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rode in another Poker Run yesterday, to help raise money for a Police Officer who needs a kidney. That's the way to deal with traffic, over a hundred bikes with a couple blocking traffic at intersections for the group! Was my daughters first ride in one. Loved it I'd say.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

And everyone wants to know why I won't sell my Harley....... If you don't ride, you don't understand......

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

loud pipes save lives.they might not see you but if they hear you that helps.good deal RATCH :waytogo: bikes are fun.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

they see you they just don't care. Like some in thier trucks they are invinceable sp. Just sorta like the trill you can get from a 4x4 in a different way. Playing in mud or rocks in a truck esspecially an open one has a thrill just like on a bike where you can lean and be in the breeze.

What kind do you got? I don't remember seeing where it said.

10. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

well here's my deal. I'm gonna get a bike for cruising around town, but keeping my truck for any sort of distance driving. Though the bike has great gas milage, and the truck sucks, still safer.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I took the bike out again a couple times yesterday, got a little more daring as far as riding on slightly busiers streets. Actually, the same streets as the other night, they were just busier because it was a sunday afternoon...

I'm getting the hang of it way too fast, it's too easy and comfortable... I ride around with this big stoopid grin...:D
    I'm pretty crappy at starting out from a dead stop, I can't seem to find the clutch's sweet spot, so I sit there slowly releasing it and revving up. Once it starts engaging, I can't figure out when to pick up my legs and where to point the bike, so I ride along half dragging my feet for a few seconds. It doesn't help that every time I start from a dead stop I'm going into a turn...
    Oh well, all stuff I'll learn in the MSF course I guess.

Grieby, that was my plan, too, use the bike for daily commuting, car for rainy days or longer driving, etc. I'm analyzing traffic differently on the drive to work, now, though, and I don't know if I really want to ride the bike that route. The driving part of my commute is full of twists and turns and TONS of blind curves (I've had two vehicle damaging incidents in the last 5 years).

Ronnny, it's an '86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. A little beat up, but so far doing a good job as a starter bike.

I'm hearing the death and accident thing from EVERYONE... I started thinking about just selling it and forgetting the whole bike thing last night after a family barbecue cause, I'm already sick of hearing how everyone who rides a motorcycle just dies...

Well anyway, I'm still psyched about it, and I really want to take the course and build up some confidence now... Plus, get my license and be riding around a little more legally than I am on just a permit...

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Death is half the fun

13. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

don't get too confident, that's what will get you in trouble. Just remember you have to be responsible for yourself, and the idiots around you because they likely won't be responsible for themselves...

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I'm trying to ride paranoid like Dontoe (I think) said.

I'm having a new problem where the bike just inexplicably cuts out, like I shut it off. No sputtering, just off... Not much fun on a street with other vehicles...

I'm loving this enough that financing a *new* bike has run across my mind a few times, and I'm friggin cheap, I don't like financing anything...