Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I drug home my own Christmas gift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 25, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the state...
    My motor was roaring, cause I was so late...

Twas Christmas eve and I was not home...
    Just me and my truck, my trailer, alone...

The Crew Cab did roar, down the Freeway as I went...
    My exhaust was dangling, my brakelines were wet...

Another truck being towed, to add to the fleet...
    but time was a ticking, and it I couldn't beat...

For when I got home, it was pretty late...
    The family had come, the food they had ate...

So I got on CK5 and wrote this silly thread...
    and your here reading it instead of in bed...

So good night to all, and all a good night...
    Tomorrow I shall unload my new gift in the light...

Essentially I made a trip where I visited some family and friends, sold some parts (a huge pain I might add trying to meet with everyone on a timely basis- took 6 hours to go 60 miles in the process) and picked up another truck I bought.

Cost of Fuel $370
    Cost of Truck $700
    =my calculated cost of truck including fuel for trip to get it $1070 for a '78 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 454 (non-running) SM465/NP205, 14-bolt, Dana 44, 7" lift, no major rust, $1070

Parts sold total $885
    Difference I had to front up in cash $185

It was close cause a t-case deal and bellhousing deal fell through, of which I was counting on having that money, luckily I had anticipated something going not as planned and made it home with my cash budget just about breaking even.

Delivered a '74 Impala demo derby car, got to meet a few new nice people delivering and selling parts, had my exhaust system fall apart to the point I may as well have had open headers, visited my 91-year old aunt in Oregon, lost brakes in the Tri-Cities and had to rob parts off the truck I picked up (rear brake line split open and lost fluid and pressure), fixed it, and got home way later than anticipated on Christmas eve after everyone was either gone or in bed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The motor is complete but supposedly they worked on replacing head gaskets, and just didn't finish getting it all back together yet (dist. belts, valve cover gaskets, exhaust, just little stuff).

It has 3.73 gears, 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift, good glass, tilt column, Complete and nearly brand new dual 3" Flowmaster Exhaust, and I even got a Honda 110 3-wheeler with it in the back (not running of course).

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

NIce.:wink1:

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Awsome and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

4. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

good work buddy. looks like that towrig and trailer could stand some paint. i'm not making fun of you, i'm just saying... yellow and tan don't look like the best combo. :doah:

what's your plans for the red rocket?

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Haha, you don't like yellow, tan, and rust? It's no beauty queen but for a $650 crew cab I didn't want to bother with giving it a paint job. I'm just going to drive it until I decide to yank the motor.

The red and white '78 I plan on trying to get running, then drive for a while, maybe rob the big block out of it and throw a 350 in it, and some 36" tires. Then eventually re-sell it.

6. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone over at GM back in the late '70s thought yellow and tan was a great combo. I've seen several trucks with factory paint in those colors...I guess that doesn't mean much though, to each his own!