Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I feel soiled....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Clean drawers, but in a case of necessity yesterday, I had to go buy an alternator at..........

Autozone :o

I've never bought anything at the "chain" stores.. I try to get all my stuff from the Mom & Pop style place we get stuff for work from.... But they built an Autozone about a mile from my house, whereas my usual is down by work, bout 15 miles away...

Would have liked to do my 200 amp upgrade, but I couldn't wait days...

Oh, and of course, I had to look at the computer cuz it was listed under 87 V-10 Blazer! :haha:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You'll get used to it. There re nothing but chain stores here. And Autozone will generally warranty anything.

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

^^^^^^what HE Said!:D^^^^^^

4. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    it's not too bad, at least we get 20% discount :)

5. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

HUH?

6. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

I like advance auto parts better than autozone. They can usually get you more aftermarket parts the autozone and i've found the prices are always cheaper.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

No Auto Zone around here But I regularly do Business with a Napa, and Oreillys depending on whether Im in Mallard or Early. Both places have except excellent service. I have had to look at the computer a few times, all I know is if I can i bring in the part im replacing for comparision to the pics on the computer or the new part.

I know it took the guy a half hour to find the right front Calipers for my pickup.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Asking for help at Autozone is basically a waste of time.

9. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    lol...well i think i would be able to help most ck5ers :)

10. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Ha you think autozone is bad? Kragens is the worst. They have nothing there and if they did the people that work there have no idea where to find it or even what anything is.

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've found the people at o'reilly have enough knowledge to get by. pep boys and autozone, not so much. you'd be amazed how much of a hassle it was for me to find a gasket for my water pump rear plate. everyone swore that it only used two gaskets, one at each connection to the block. so, i asked them how the impeller got crammed into one of those tiny holes. "impeller?" was the usual response. apparently, they thought the water/coolant was shoved around by little elves in there.

but, these places are for the masses, not those who know.

on that note, a ford rep at the dallas auto show kept saying "cadillac converter". haha. even if there was such a thing, i doubt ford would use them. cadillac hasn't been part of ford since 1909, when the general bought it.

12. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Down here in Phoenix, you're screwed no matter where you go. Nobody behind the counter has any idea of anything without the computer. Nobody appears to even understand what a f*cking car is, let alone what part they are getting you. And, to top it off, you will definately be the only one in the place that speaks english. The days of knowledgeable counter people who are decently paid and care about the customer are gone. The only thing the majority of people care about are the cheapest parts possible, and because of this we are stuck with absolute s*it parts and retards making minimum wage behind the counter. The best is when you ask for something completely common and generic and they ask you 5 minutes of unrelated crap because that's what the computer tells them to do. Gimme a fricking break. I just go to the dealer anymore. I'd rather pay more and talk to someone that actually knows what a vehicle is. Not that all dealers are any better.

13. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I asume it's a DELCO case a good auto electric shop shuold be able to rebuild it for about the same price [if not cheaper] than a new one ,,,,and they can build it with better parts so it lasts longer.

14. ryoken

Oh, this must be to me...

Ummm, trust me, I have a generator shop.. Been going there 20 yrs down by work.. This was an EMERGENCY...

15. buefchris

OK,now Iknow ,WOW, that must of hurt!

16. ryoken

Actually, the price surprised me, $73... Heck, my guy generally charges $80... But as you mentioned, he's putting better parts in...

17. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The funny part is that when I was stationed in San Diego...even with the military discount...it was cheaper to drive 10 miles to Poway and use the Autozone up there than to drive 4 miles to the Kragen in Mira Mesa.:rolleyes:

Auto parts places are different everywhere, just like everything else. Up here the only true "mom and pop" auto parts place is a local chain that is famous for good knowledge and horrible prices. I've been inside their doors once when they just happened to have the best prices on struts for my wife's DD. I was flat out amazed.

I mainly frequent the local NAPA as the owner gives me a military discount but also spend a lot of time in the Advanced Auto as they seem to have more stuff on hand for my Suzukis.

18. buefchris

OK,my rebuild was about 60.00 4 years ago . And it was the big case out of a 74'CADILLAC,,,I guess I'm out of touch with today.

19. ryoken

Well, keep in mind, my location... Not sure if local pricing and economy has much to do with it, but there may very well be cheaper areas of the country...

We're pretty happy actually with his pricing...

But thanks, you reminded me I wanted to talk to him about what he'd charge me to do an upgrade to 200 amp for me... Powermasters are pretty pricey, and i'd like to see what he could do it for..

In all my years, you'd have thunk I'd have learned how to rebuild alternators and starters, but it's just always been something we farmed out...