Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I fell sorry for...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You guys in snow country with mud tires. I was driving around today with my BFG AT KO's which are supposed to be good on snow and ice. Man this stuff sucks arse.

We have about 2" of snow, but the underlayer is ice. I can stop to save my ass or turn well either. I do have a welded rearend, and I am sure that is part of my problem, but damn. I hate this ice crap.

I can't imagine trying to drive on the ice and snow with mud tires and a locker. It would suck major butt. My other problem is that I have a front locker so I don't want to even try 4x4. I slide all over the damn place as it is.

Sofar the damage is only one good curb smack, but I almost hit 2 of my roommates Explorers when I was trying to get in the driveway. But maybe that is just cause my truck doesn't like Fords. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Takes practice to drive on slick stuff with lockers.Lowering the air pressure helps and both ends locked gets real fun sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Welcome to my world! Now you know why I have a trailer and hardly drive the K5 in the winter. Besides, it keeps the MAG off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am currently running 34F/32R PSI, and I think tomorrow they are getting lowered to 28/28. Sliding sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What, you don't like the ice her in FC, man? I love it when it is like this out...As long as there aren't a lot of idiots on the road...I had to put it in 4wd just to get up the hill out of my gf's condo complex tonight...tried it in 2wd but made it 20 ft up the hill and slid backwards... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif it was slick...

Chris

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It was nice, back here in AZ, no snow, nice and sunny /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Yea I saw thing on your trailer about two weeks ago I was headed home your you were going east on c470, And the bad part was the road was dry....What up with that?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Did you ran out of gas? Or just trying to save some gas /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

Harley can you just lock one front hub? I know some guys do it I've never tried it though.
    And now that I've heard this I can't wait to get mine back on road /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But I have a ARB in the front so that mite give ma an edge, Anything is better than the ford mavrick that I've been driving.

Eric

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

When it gets as icy as it was around here, with a layer of ice and then some snow on top of it to provide extra lubrication, no tire works good. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A true ice/snow tire will fare a little better, due to the tremendous amount of siping that they have. But to really be able to get around you need either studs or some tire chains. The V-bar chains are amazing on stuff like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

yep muds are not the greatest in the slick stuff. i have to use 4wd quite a bit around town. use 4wd when i need it, drive slower and leave alot of room between cars is all i do. i just cant get over the number of ford explorers cracked up on the highway last night and tonight. i saw 3 of them smashed and stranded off the road. gotta love those morons who think they can stop on a dime when the snow and ice are flying. breaks my heart to see these new suv's smashed up.

10. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

yeah ko's arent the best in snow and ice, but it has always been best to slowly start tapping your brake peddles way before you have to actually stop... works in all vehicles...
    snow and ice doesnt bother me, just gotta learn to drive in it and learn how your specific vehicle handles in it...

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...try running a Swamper that is 15.5" wide in the slick stuff...
    I like it...adds a little excitement to the day.

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

what's snow /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I run Pro Comp M/T's (33"). I think they are fine. Our roads are bad up here lately and I use my 4wd most days. I'll sit and spin at an intersection if I don't. No lockers on mine, so maybe that is the difference. Or the fact that I've been driving on winter roads for about 5 months of the year, for the past 12 years. I just slow way down, 4wd or not. I hate when people fly by in their SUV's speeding down the highway. 4wd will do nothing to stop a vehicle on ice! Snow can be very fun though. I've taken a real liking to snow-mo-wheeling. This is my first year having a slightly built 4x4 in the winter. It's like a snowmobile that the whole family (including the dog) can go in. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif