Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I finally finished my HOMEADE Soft Top!!! pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GEORGIA GABE, Jul 16, 2006.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I built the frame over a year ago and It worked ok, I just could not find a waterproof canvas tarp to cover it with. I was going to use sunbrella material but never ordered it. So after getting the box in I was inspired to put it back on. So after spending about $100. I think I did pretty good. The tarp I used was a heavy duty cordura material. You will notice in some of the pictures that the top extends beyond the back of the blazer. I added some extendable poles (painting ones) and so no I have a place to stand and get tools out of the rain. I am also working on a design that would put a removable board accross the front when the rear seat is folded down so that I could sleep out of the rain. Most of the designs came from inspiration while stuck on schoolbus in the rain.
    gabe

first the way it used to look.

[​IMG]

and now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks good, I like the extended part

3. GEORGIA GABE

Thanks, I think it will come in handy in the rain.
    gabe

4. CarnivoreMan

CarnivoreMan Registered Member

Dude, it looks like the Blazer got a whole lot uglier when the top got more improved! :wink1:

But appart from that, it looks a little loose for any high speed driving. Is there a way to button it down tight for driving in the rain? I like the extendy thing.. that'd be real handy for camping.

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, that was my question. What the heck happened to the K5 and are you going to get some snap buttons to put into the side of the bed and sew the other end into the top?

-Avery

top5.jpg

6. GEORGIA GABE

The K5 is pretty much trailered when Im going wheeling. So High speed is not much of an issue. the doors will most likely never go back on (unless I cut the tops of and use them as half doors.) Ive had it up to about 70 with the sides and rear rolled up and no problems. I do plan on putting some snaps on the sides....I just havent done it yet. I finished whats there now about 3 hours ago. The top part is about as tight as any jeep running down the road.

gabe

7. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I like it.

Question....Who makes that drawer you have in there?

8. GEORGIA GABE

The box is made by TRUCKVAULT, It was made to go in a land cruiser. I bought it off craigslist and drove from atlanta to chatanooga friday night to get it. New they are around $1000, I got this one preowned (never installed) for $375. It is made out of marine plywood and covered in a laminate. I am going to have it covered in line-x when my funds replenish. Im very happy with it so far. It has a push button combo lock on it that rocks.

www.truckvault.com

gabe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Sweet...you got a heck of a deal. I have looked at that website before, didn't know the prices though...Wow...above my budget. I picked up a Tuffyproducts deluxe center console for my 86 a month or so back and am very happy with it. Stereo is mounted in it and it locks up nice and tight.

The shop I got it at had a rear drawer setup sortof like yours, but Tuffyproducts. I believe it was made for a Heep so should fit in the back of my K5 very nicely. As you said "when my funds replenish" I would like to pick it up. Need good lockable storage for tools and such. I lost quite a bit of tools when my K5 was stolen back in May, I'm not gonna let it happen again.

Andy

Looks like your pooch found himself a good place for a snooze.