Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I finally found what was making the noise!!! Now how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Apr 16, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I had a post up for a while about a chat-chat-chat noise coming from between my tranny and engine. People told me it was a cracked flywheel. So today I pull the dust cover from the bell housing to check the condition of my fly wheel and it was in good condition. No cracks. So i turned the motor on to see what else i could find and i found the noise is coming from the flywheel contacting the starter while its spinning. There is a little metal bushing on the starter and the flywheel is hitting it making it spin around and make that dang awful noise. the noise comes and goes, usually only happens when the engine is started and a short while after, and occasionally when i hit a hard bump. I was watching it hitting the metal bushing thing and making the noise, and then the noise would stop when the bushing and flywheel came apart. So how do i fix this? Does this mean the starters bad and doesn't retract? 'm not totaly sure how it works. What can I do to fix this? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I would think that its a problem with the starter not totally disengaging... I'm not sure if you can do anything about that except for get a new one, but don't put all of your faith in me on this subject... I'm sure that somebody here has more information. I guess, if nothing else, I got it back up top on the list...

3. 76_Cheyenne

I wonder if that bushing is supposed to be in the starter gear, and somehow came disconnected from the gear so it's stuck there at the flywheel? Does that sound like a possibility?

4. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Starter SHIMS!!!!I had a similar problem when doing a motor swap in my 78' GMC Jimmy!!!!Only the noise wouldn't stop! Upon inspection noticed the starter bushing had Fresh grind marks and looked WAY TO CLOSE to the flywheel ring gear!!!I'd Bet a cool $100 this is your problem!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. 76_Cheyenne

Well that is my problem, I know that, i watched it hit the bushing. I just don't know what to do to fix it. Is that bushing supposed to be there? Am I going to need a new starter? or just shim it?

6. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Try Shimming it.