Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I finally got my engine... ugh!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eclipse, Oct 15, 2005.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I've had my 85 K10 dd apart for almost 4 months now, I've been waiting on my engine for two months. Wednesday after work I finally got the engine home, didn't have time to do anything. Thursday night after searching in my shop I found my flywheel outside my shop in need of a resurfacing. My 85 had a single piece rearmain 305 when I got it, that flywheel I need to find for my new 350. So tonight I got home with the flywheel thinking I was set. I knew I had a pilot bearing sitting in my tool box from a past project and it won't fit!. Whats the deal, I want this 350 in there! I miss driving my truck and I hate seeing it in pieces in my shop!

image 023.jpg

image 027.jpg

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Did the engine shop know this engine was going in front of a manual trans. If your 350 was originally hooked to an auto, the crank was probably not drilled for a pilot bearing. I learned this the hard way. You are not using the 305 flywheel on the 350 are you? The last 305 to 350 swap I did, the 305 flywheel was balanced different than the 350. It shook like crazy till soneone clued me in.

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

the flywheel came off my 305, but who knows if it was a 305 or a 350 flywheel, but I had a couple people look at it and they said it was weighted right for my new 350. As for pilot bearing, I told the engine guy a couple of times my truck was a manual. Here is a question, are pilot bearings different on 86-up blocks different than older ones?

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Nathan has a flywheel in my garage off his 1-piece rear main 350 if the one you have isn't right. I didn't think the pilot bushing/bearing was different. Why is it that it won't fit? Too large?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Is this a two piece rear main 350? If so you CAN'T put your 305s flywheel on it. It shouldn't even bolt up, if it does the 305 was an external balance motor where as your 350 is INTERNAL. It will not be balance properly at all. But gauging by the fact that you didn't actually give the engine guy the flywheel I doubt it is balanced anyway(since he'd want that and the damper to properly balance the motor).

6. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Haha well its confusing about this flywheel.

When I bought my 85, it had a crate 305 someone put in.
    Two years ago I put a '83 4bolt 350 in my truck I had to buy a flywheel because my 305 had a 1 piece remain and the 4bolt 350 had a two piece. Ok so now I'm putting in a 1 piece rear main 350 like 305 I had before. So I had to go dig up my flywheel from my 305 so it would fit. Everyone kept telling me it had to be balanced right, it would have to have a weight on it. So I had it resurfaced and the guy i got the engine from said it was correct because it had a weight on it. What a confusing pain it has been.

Allan as for the pilot bearing it is a little two big. its been a few years since i've changed one, are they that tight? I'm not even sure if the pilot bearing I found is right :confused: