Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I finnally gave in

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Drey, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

And bought some Snap-On Tools ... Granted its only two sockets

19/32 Deep well 3/8s
    19/32 Shallow Well 1/2

Im sure this will open the door to me buying more and more off that truck...that and the guy gave me a full catalog:D

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You've got more self control than me, I spent $500 my first time on the truck.:wink1:

3. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

Did you give about $1500 for both of them? lol I like Snap On stuff, but wheww it's high priced stuff!

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

not really that high priced compared to the other guys hiline stuff... 19/32, special application for something?

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

You gotta pay to play with the big boys!!! I started out with just a few things about 10 yrs ago, now i've got close to 45K in stuff with about 75% of it snap-on. The best part is I no longer work in the field so I have a nice home setup now:D:D

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

For somereason or another there is a TON of on my K10 that to big for 9/16s and to small for 5/8s:confused: 19/32s happens to fit perfect.

I intend on sometime gettin a set of Snap-On wrenchs. We have craftsman at work, but I help out at a local garage here in Mallard some those guys pretty much all have Snap-On I like how the wrenchs are a little longer. Although the fact they are skinnier can be bad when your really heavin on somethin, hurts your had after while. Nothin I couldnt live but just throwing that out there.

Its kind of a pain to catch the Snap-On truck when your not a fulltime Mechanic too.

7. Confedneck79K30

try a set of mac wrenches, then tell me the snappys hurt your hands LOL... they are thinner, and at that fact, even stronger than other wrenches.. the extra length helps as well, i could go on and on... btw 15mm is between 9/16 and 5/8...

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was there and as confused as Drey was. 15mm didn't fit. I cussed at that socket enough to know. :doah:

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Metric on a 83 pickup though...and If i remember right 15 was quite right either

Never dealt with any Mack tools.

Confedneck your a Snap-On Dealer right, whats the difference between Blue Point and Snap-On

10. Confedneck79K30

blue point is stuff that is USUALLY, not always, vended out to other production facilities, and provides a less expensive alternative...
    almost all of the blue-point stuff is at the least, on par with everyone elses top of the line stuff...

hell my 79 had metric bolts in it when i tore it apart, not that they were original?? but they were there...

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

A '73 I worked on today had metric bleeder screws.

Ebay, catch em anytime you want, lol.

12. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unless you make a living at turning wrenches is it really necessary to buy the most expensive tools or is there something I'm missing? Wouldn't the weekend wrencher rather spend his money on parts for the rig when in reality most of the craftsman stuff will get you by fairly well with the few exceptions that will arise. Just thinking out .loud

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Heh...

I've got a few Snap-On items in my toolbox, but I just recently used a gift certificate I got for Christmas to actually buy my first Snap-On tools; got the PL803A dikes set for work.

14. Confedneck79K30

good choice!

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Eh, just depends on how many hours of mechanic work you are actually doing, how good of a mechanic you are, and the type of work you are doing.

Some jobs cheap junk will work just fine (like Craftsman), and on others a Snap-On wrench or screw driver can make or break the day. Sometimes you've only got one shot at gettin bolts, plugs, nuts, roll pins, etc out. If you strip them, your F'd.... Quality tools with their tighter and fitting and tougher tools can make the difference.