Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I forgot to mark my carrier caps, am I in trouble? (with pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jun 18, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am swapping gears in a D44. I had this thing apart a year ago and didnt mark things too well. Now its time to get it together and I cant tell which carrier main cap is the left and right. Now this is what I think, tell me what you think.... since I am using new carrier bearings and races I can flip flop them how ever, the only time it makes a difference is if you re use bearings/races? Tell me my theory is correct...please /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

thanks
    Brent

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: I forgot to mark my carrier caps, am I in trouble?

Actually, no. The bearing bore is cut with that specific cap in place. If you swap them you my end up with a bore that is out of round. What I would do is torque the caps on and feel for a mis-alignment. You may and may not be able to get them right with this method. The other option is to get a bore guage and check for roundness with the caps torqued on. Hope this helps.

Mike

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

OK so lets say I went to the junkyard and took the caps off of a D44 and made sure to mark them. Would they work ok on the housing I am working on? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If they're like the main caps in a motor no, they're bored with the cap on that housing.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

if there like my axles there will be a stamped letter on the cap and on the housing where the cover goes-----on my front where the cover goes there could be a letter----mine was an "H" and on the corresponding cap was also an "H". now on the other side the "H" was horozontal w/ the corresponding cap the "H" also being horozontal. the rear of my truck also had these markings so 2+2= all axles have theses markings----you "may" have to really look hard to see them too

hope this helps

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

No, you would be no better off using different caps than the ones you already have. With the ones you have now you have a 50/50 chance at getting them right by just slapping them in. Try calling around to local 4x4 or driveline shops and see if anyone has the proper guage to check for out of round like mentioned above. should not cost anymore than a trip to the wrecking yard to have that checked.

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Check out this picture... Look at the groove in the cap its self. I have it aiming towards the axle tube. Does anyone know if this groove goes towards the carrier or towards the axle tubes. The answer to this question could solve my problem

[​IMG]

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Here the grove is towards the inside, or carrier...

[​IMG]

9. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

85, You might as well take it to a differential shop and have them check it! All the wishing in the world isn't as good as knowing for sure. They can check to see if the bores are right (round) or wrong (not round). Do yourself a favor, pay'em to check it and then sleep good at night. IMHO

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Scoobydannn is right, Dana marks all of their caps. Like he said it will almost always be an alpha character and it will be the same character on both sides. Once you find it match vertical to vertical and horizontal to horizontal. The stamp will be very light, only part of the character may be showing but it should be there. I've worked on a few Dana axles and they all have had the markings.

As previously stated, these (original) caps are need to go back in the correct position. This is the very same principal as an engine block. Do not swap in different caps or just guess at their correct position. If you can't figure it out take it to a machine shop and have them check it. Ask a machine shop if they would assemble an engine with caps off of another block, no way!

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Do you have an inside micrometer? If so, I would torque both caps down in place, then mic both sides to see if they are exactly the same. See, I found out when setting pinion depth, your cap mounting surface is not always the centerline of the carrier. It can be off as much as .030 +/- Either front to back. So, as everyone said, you must get the caps correct or you will have major problems. How about another housing? Have one laying around? I will have one soon.

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Do you know if the groove on the edge of the carrier cap faces towards the axle tubes or the carrier..or can it fit eaither way? That would help me out a lot...
    Brent

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Holy crap-ola, I talked to the drivetrain shop in town and they are going to figure it out for me, and install the ring and pinion for $175...Thanks for all the info everyone!
    Brent