Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Fought the Taser, and I Lost............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

My department just added these wonderful, non-lethal weapons to our arsenal today. 50,000 volts of pure, unadulterated electricity at the ready.

Anyway, for part of our certification, we had to take a hit. Once with the wires, and once with what they call a 'drive stun' where to gun is put up to the body minus the cartridge, ala stun gun.

First go around was the wire hit. One wire was taped to the ankle and one to the arm, right at the shoulder.

For the first quadriplemillosecond, I'm "hey, this is cool" then "OH [darn]!!!!!" and I was down for the count. One of our sergeants decided he would take the shot from the gun and the full 5 seconds. Crazy old guys, I tell ya.

The 'drive stun' absolutely sucks. The gun was put up to the arm, trigger hit and it felt like about 2000 degree metal hitting ya. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

All I have to say to you future pillars of society who think fighting cops is fun, try it with one armed with a Taser.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I think I'd rather take the zapper-thing-a-ma-jig over the bean bag gun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Bubba, don't you just love how they beat up on you. I was also certified on the taser and it does suck. It was far worse than being sprayed with OC, bruised wrists from Arrest Techniques, and sore muscles from DT. I remember it all to well. I went to the academy and was a Deputy Recruit before joining the military. 7 months left in the Army and will be looking to get back on the road. BTW, you are complete with FTO on Tuesday, correct. If so, congratulations! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

crazy,now you know if you want to use it twice on a real bad guy. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They hurt don't they.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How would you feel about one for home defense?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, you are complete with FTO on Tuesday, correct. If so, congratulations!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well technically, yes, and they are suppose to review while I'm gone to Cali, but I can pretty much lay money that I'm gonna be out on my own 'officially' a week from tomorrow. It's kind of a long story, if ya want more info, PM me. It's funny also.

[ QUOTE ]
    crazy,now you know if you want to use it twice on a real bad guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, considering that I had to force myself to use the thing on people I like. It's a nasty little toy.

[ QUOTE ]
    They hurt don't they....

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's not that bad. More below.......

[ QUOTE ]
    How would you feel about one for home defense?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as that bad guy isn't armed with a gun. The company, Taser actually has a civilian model, but check your local laws, only 43 states is it legal to have one of these things, surprisingly California wasn't listed.

It has something like a 99% success rate, which means even your cranked up, PCP tripping dumbass is not immune to this thing. It attacks the human electrical system with 50K volts so this overrides everything. There is no fight against the electrical pulse.

But once the pulse stops, then the bad guy is free to get right back up with his negative attitude, until another pulse is given then it's right back down to the ground. Like myself, once the pulse stopped, I could have gotten right back up within a second to continue attacking. But these things automatically run for five seconds and five seconds can be a long time. So once the pulse starts, then you can jump the guy and subdue him.

The one thing I really don't like is the range. I don't know if the company website gives out the range for LE models, so I'll refrain, but the civilian model has a range of only 15 feet. Sounds like a lot, but the optimum distance between good guy and bad guy is 21 feet. So if the guy takes to the air and you shoot, you've got to move and there's a chance that the probes don't hit. But once the wires are in and one is lost, this weapon has the ability to be used as a stun gun; which brings me to this. When we used it as a stun gun today, it doesn't incapacitate like the wires, but it's more like touching hot metal and people were jumping a good 5-10 feet in most cases once they got hit. It would be most useful once someone was partially subdued.

I would definately look into for home defense, but don't use it as the end all just like LE hasn't gotten rid of firearms. The Taser has it's place in the force continium, but one still needs a gun just in case.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

They did a demo on the show "Tactical to Practical" last night on the History Channel. It was just as You described /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Sorry to say but I would have paid money to see Your ass hit the mat like those guys did /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We had a Demo fair come to Camp Lejeune to show some toys off and they had a taser gun booth setup and Marines were asked if they would like a T-shirt hehehehehe!!! 1-second is a T-shirt, 5-seconds is a backpack and if you could reach and grab the taser gun its yours!! I gotta tell ya, we marines are some crazy messed up individuals. I seen these guys gettin zapped left and right and it was funny /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    And yes I now have a backpack LOL

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They did a demo on the show "Tactical to Practical" last night on the History Channel. It was just as You described /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Sorry to say but I would have paid money to see Your ass hit the mat like those guys did /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea me too I love to see okies in pain /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Just wait till next time you see OU play UT. Bubba's gonna sh!t his pants /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

yeah it's not that bad but it does, sit you down for a minute... and thats what their good for.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea me too I love to see okies in pain Just wait till next time you see OU play UT. Bubba's gonna sh!t his pants

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Hey wait a damn minute the You no good smelly Longhorn /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Just for Your info I happen to be an Okie Myself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Born in Norman even /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Now Your gonna be the one sh!tting his pants the next time Our beloved Sooners knock the dog snot out of them Longhorns /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

nope not me i dont really care about college football. im just trying to get bubba all pisserd off.

nick

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    nope not me i dont really care about college football. im just trying to get bubba all pisserd off.

nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Using the Shorthorns as the method of your madness isn't going to work; as long as the name Mack Brown appears next to the word Coach. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    as long as the name Mack Brown appears next to the word Coach.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why must you keep bringing this up!? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Like I've said before, it'll be a ****in' miracle if we can even beat K State next year, let alone the goddamned Sooners! Mack is a Asshat...

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    as long as the name Mack Brown appears next to the word Coach.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why must you keep bringing this up!? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Like I've said before, it'll be a ****in' miracle if we can even beat Tom Landry Middle School next year, let alone the goddamned Sooners! Mack is a Asshat...

[/ QUOTE ]

Changed it for ya /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Keep em honest BRB. My son in law played for OU. Tight end. Still a big boy. Hell, I graduated from SMU and ain't seen em since. Still the best paid college team in the US. Oh well.

Boomer Sooner.

BH.

20. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Keep em honest BRB. My son in law played for OU. Tight end. Still a big boy. Hell, I graduated from SMU and ain't seen em since. Still the best paid college team in the US. Oh well.

Boomer Sooner.

BH.