Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I found a 71 3/4 ton Dana 44 and Eaton rear end?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Apr 22, 2002.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I found a guy selling a set of 71 3/4 ton axles for $600.00

the frount is a Dana 44 with the big locking hubs with the external bolts on them

and the rear is an Eaton that is all I know about the rear

the guy said that the gears were 4.56:1

I have not gone to see what shape they are in yet

my ? is if thes axles are in good shape are they worth the money and the trouble to put them under my blazer?

if they are worth the money and trouble what kind of mods am I looking at to get them under my blazer?

Thanks

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the eaton is a strong axle, but parts are mush more expensive compared to the 14 bolt. some eatons came stock with a detroit installed. also, the D44 may be a closed knuckle with drum brakes. i am unsure of the year they started making disc brakes on those axles, but it is something to watch out for.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can find 14bff & D44 setups for less money then those two axles. They will be stronger, and parts are much cheaper.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Beware of the Eaton, they can be good axles but as said before they can be pricey to get parts for and the drum brakes aren't as large as the 14bff. $600 sounds a little steep, but depends on the condition too.

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

What year K5 do you have? If they're in good shape then it may be a good purchase, especially if you want the 4.56 ratio. I'd be picking those up if it were me for my '72, but it'd mainly be to keep with first gen stuff in my K5, along the lines of 'restification'. If the gears are too deep for your needs right now it's usually easier to find 44's/14 bolts with 4.10s. If you plan un upgrading the rear with a detroit or disk brakes then holding out for a 14ff might be a beter idea.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You can use a 14 bolt detroit in a eaton but you have to use the 14 boltFF axle shafts. eaton=course spline axleshaft 14FF= fine spline axleshafts. You'll have to move the spring pads on the eaton to fit a 2nd gen. The '71 D44 used smaller ujoints at the knuckles than the '73 and up.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

70~k5 Have you done the detroit swap on an eaton axle? My eaton has a 12" ring gear and the FF 14b is a 10.5" are there some eatons with a smaller set up? or is this part of the swap?

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I am runing 33s right now so 4.56 is a littel deep but I want to get 36s next time i buy tires

I am going to take a look at them and unless they are in really good shape I thank I will save my money for some 1ton mil axles with 4.56 and a detroit

thanks for all the info I really did not much about an Eaton rear end.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I have a '72 k20 eaton 10.5 ring gear. This eaton shares the detroit locker style with the 14FF just different splines on the axle shafts. You do the same with axle shafts in a open by changing spider gears too. Don't know about the larger eaton you have, do know it's a larger version of what I have.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Thats awsome info. I was not aware of. I'm assumeing the eaton ring gear (of approprate size) will fit on the 14b carrier. Bolt hole locations ect. I will look into that swap. Thanks!

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Skip it. Parts are hard to find. The D44 is weaker version. Through 72 the D44 axles had 260x U-Joints. 73 they went to the stronger 297x. Yes you can swap the shafts but that's too much money unless your planning on upgrading to Warn aloy shafts already.
    You should be able to find an after 73 14FF and D44 for that or less. Parts like Locker is MUCH cheaper for the 14FF.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The Eaton rear in my 1st gen is just fine, but your right about the front. Want to change the front to a D60. the rear eaton is as stong if not stronger the a 14FF. The weakest point on the eaton is the course spline axleshafts. That can be fixed by using axleshafts from a 14FF