Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i found a used winch what do you think?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Aug 21, 2001.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

well today i went and looked at a used winch for sale, it's a ramsey RE-12,000, it's one BIG mofo and it works, it's about 6 or 7 years old and in pretty good shape just some surface rust on the spool and and it needs a new cable. other than that it seems fine. my question is what would you pay for,he's asken $650 for it i think more like $400 to $500 for it and is there anything i should look out for.

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Your offer sounds about right. Can't hurt to ask.

Just make sure everything's there, including remote handle, leads, fairlead, hook.
    Rust on the drum is normal, use the cable as leverage. They are not cheap. For a winch that big, you're looking at least at $130 for a cable

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Sounds good although most people I know run Warn. Their service and equipment is second to none. Yet if you can get it for the right price, jump on it!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

4. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who is runninfg one of the 12,000lb Ramsey's. It is one heck of a winch. I run a Warn 8274 which is a little faster than the Ramsey. The Ramsey would just about do like that one movie in africa a few years back and hang your truck in a tree!! It is a good pulling winch!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

5. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I would say get it if you can, and if you don't let me know. The Ramsey RE series winches are stronger than any Warn winch in my opinion because they are driven by a worm gear instead of a planetary gear. Personaly, I think Warn winches are over rated. I've had experence with both, and If I had to pick between the two I would go with the Ramsey. Just my .02 cents though.

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I just checked National Tire and they sell new RE 12000 winches for $899 including winch cable and battery cables. So I guess the $400 for a used one that needs a new cable is alright.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</a>