Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I found my truck from 12 years ago

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Apr 17, 2007.

?

What to build?

1. build the burb, drive and work the Tank

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. build the tank and drive and camp the burb

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. leave'em neekid in the pasture and maybe they will give birth to a BLAZER!

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

This might turn into a long post but I will try to keep it short.

My folks bought a 76 c30 crew cab in the mid 80s. I grew up being told I would one day get that truck when I turned of age. I Loved that tank (named by everyone from school growing up) Well, my folks split when I was 15 and dad went and sold it for cash. That was 12 years ago.

I bought the burb this last october and haven't done too much to it yet.

Here is where I wanted some thoughts from you guys.

I found MY old C30 in Wichita Falls (90 miles from me) and think I can get it pretty cheap. Maybe free if I talk to him right.

My question is, which should I fix into my toy, My burb or the tank.

It is only a 2 wheel drive but I was planning on finding a D60 for the burb anyway. I can keep the burb like it is now with the 400 and swap in the good 454/400 and find the 205 for the tank and have 2 4wds. A big one and a BIG ONE.

With the burb, I would prob stay with 38.5s. I would like to go to 44s with the tank. I really don't know what I want to do now. I am just suprised I found MY truck 12 years later.

Thoughts

2. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

it's pretty cool that you found not just a similar truck, but the same one. i'd say leave it as-is (be a little nostalgic) and build the burb into a monster.

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

definitely get it. But thats a no brainer. I'd prolly start building the burb first, as i'd be hesitant to cut up a truck with such sentimental value....

4. pennsylvaniaboy

pennsylvaniaboy 1/2 ton status

two ways you could go keep the c30 and tow a big burb(then you dont have to worry about breakin it) o love lifted burbs that get beat on. but dang crew cabs are feakin A. id be torn too. but with the fact the the burb only has a D44 i might keep it as is and go all out on the big one. one other though on sentimental value if you go big on the tank it will eventually get destryoed prolly. and it dependson your wheeling terrain. if its mud pits go c30. if its tighter go burb

5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

for the stuff we do around dfw, i like short wheelbase and modest or no lift. burms and ledges test breakover angle and the tight trails test turn radius. the clay just sits under the soupy mud and trys to hang up axles whenever it can. not sure if it's the same up where you are. i know the soil can vary quite a bit in this area.

6. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

build the burb and use the c30 for a dd/ tow rig.

7. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

x2... Make the C30 reliable for a DD and tow rig. Then build up your burb wheel it like crazy.

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

x3 on that

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would start by making sure the "tank" becomes yours once again then figure out the rest afterwards. :deal:

10. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Your right, I guess I need to start with GETTING IT BACK first.

11. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd go with the burb as the toy. The C30 sounds like a cool truck, but I don't know if it makes sense for a 50 mile round trip commute everyday. If its next to nothing and you got space then go get it, you can turn it into a toy after you grenade your burb.:D

12. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Take it from me.... I'm still driving the same '94 GMC my Pop bought new back in '94, and I learned to drive stick on it once I got my license (I was 14 back in '94). I bought it off him in '01, and, I did a couple mods to it, but it's mostly my stock, reliable, family heirloom. I always talk about converting it to 4wd, HP front end, making it into a PIMP street queen..... F*ck all that. Spend your money on trucks that you DON'T have such a deep attatchment to. Hell, when I buy a new truck this coming summer, I'm gonna park this one. I'll just maintain it for the next 20 years or so, until I have a child to pass it onto.

Go get your Tank, and enjoy it. Repair it, and maintain it. Don't modify it and change it. If you have the ability, then go get it and sit on it for years and years if that's all you can do. But keep those trucks close to you that have special meaning. End of story.

13. Stomis

Stomis Professional Amateur Premium Member

I'd go with building the burb. If you build that c30 your looking at alot more work for an even longer truck. Transfer case, spring hangers, custom crossmembers, new shafts front and rear.

c30 needs a nice torquey 383 for the daily driver

burb needs a 572 ramjet/400/205 :D :D :D :D

14. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

you sound almost like youre telling him to go chase a certain lady and cherish her and none else... but yeah, get the c30 make it nice, tow the burb.